View RSS Feed

Michael

An Opinion: The Digital Age and Presets

Rate this Entry
I'm not upset, but I admit I am a little annoyed. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm hoping this short opinion piece will motivate anyone with a digital effects processor to discover that they have the ability to do anything and improve their skills along the way.

Line 6, Fractal and many other companies have improved their technology over the years. They have allowed the masses to replicate the tones of the masters and create new tones. The exponential increase in microprocessor / computing power has given us more than just speed and flexibility in "modeling", but instant "tone" gratification. No surprise given today's generation is generally a "want it now" generation.

When I started U2GT in about 2008, I was one of those "got to have it now" beginner guitarists. I couldn't wait to sound like the Edge after seeing them live for the first time on the Vertigo tour. So many other tribute band guitarists sounded amazing and I wanted to sound like them as soon as possible. As I followed the U2 boards, I absorbed as much info as I could and asked a lot of questions. I bought a Line 6 Pod pro and tried some presets and I sounded like crap. Hmmm... what was wrong? A couple of the "experts" in the community helped me learn over time to be patient and experiment with what I had. I saw posts on boards of people getting annoyed when others kept badgering them for presets. In time, I got the message. It's about the journey, not the preset.

I noticed a few posts recently on both the Fractal and U2GT forums where people were requesting my preset(s) or a preset from someone else. So I decided it was time to remind everyone about the journey you are supposedly undertaking. Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to talk down to anyone and I don't mean to come off as some sort of arrogant expert, but as someone who has spent hundreds of hours (maybe thousands?) learning to play guitar and build presets, I thought that the community needed a little perspective. So here it goes.

You don't learn how to play guitar from a preset. You also don't learn how to build a preset from a preset.

I didn't learn this myself, but I pieced together the big picture with some help from some amazing people who were kind enough to politely point me in the right direction without giving me the preset. They did me a big favor. Just look at the number of views on my YouTube channel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging, but trying to point out ANYONE can do this. It's a matter of investing some time. When I picked up my guitar in 2007/2008 to relearn the basics (i played some from when I was 8 yrs old until about 18), I could play a few things but I had a lot of trouble playing an entire song (any song) through to the end with no mistakes. I was following the U2 board on Yahoo religiously and practicing as much as I could. I don't read music, so I starting watch YouTube videos (Pat, Mick, etc. etc.) to try to learn the songs, but the vids were either too dark, didn't cover the entire song or were out of focus. I got frustrated. I was loading presets into my Line 6, learning a few parts of songs and sounding ok, but nowhere close to what I heard from Mick and others. I would load a different preset and it was worse! Finally I started adjusting knobs and stuff and figured out that I could take a preset and make it better. Still not perfect, but I started to learn about the effects and controls.

I eventually did a recording of BDay (my first full recording) using my old Ibanez Explorer with my Line 6 Pod Pro. I had medium power pups in the Ibanez and it came out ok. Here is a link to the song (and some other old recordings):

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=076e1...DE94BF32%21111

It's not perfect, but it received great reviews at the time. It was not recorded in one take. I recorded each track with a different preset separately and edited in Pro Tools. This was all done with a Line 6 Pro. The pitch shift part certainly isn't close to what I can do now, but the rest came out pretty well. And I was able to improve my playing and presets over time.

When I did this song, I focused on my own presets by listening to the Live in Chicago version and learning every note and constantly trying different combination of parameters in the effects. I would try every drive and use the closest one that sounded like what Edge was using and then spend even more time changing all the parameters to converge to something that seemed right. It took time and patience. I had to learn the parts, build the presets for my guitar/pups, learn Pro Tools, use Pro Tools to pull all the pieces together and then adjust volumes, pans etc. to get to a finished product. It took me many hours/weeks/months. The result speaks for itself. A 40 something year old who was playing guitar not even 2 years produced this cover. Don't get me wrong, I had help. Lot's of help from reading the many posts on the U2 boards. I was absorbing the basics, but it took years to be able to apply them.

YouTube wasn't working out for me, so I discovered slow downer software and starting dissecting the songs myself. I learned about delay times and BPM so that I could mentally understand what notes were picked notes and which where delayed notes. At some point someone asked me how I played some part of a song and I posted a crappy webcam video on my personal YouTube channel. The person appreciated the close up I did and then it hit me... ah...I'll just create a channel and share what I learned from my slow downer and preset building. U2 Guitar Tutorials was born.

What I learned over all these years is that I'm not a great guitar player, but I'm persistent. I don't read music. I don't know my scales. I can't improvise. I can't play a lead riff for the life of me. But I have a good ear. Anyone who says, "Well, I don't have a good ear" is generally lazy. Sure there are some people with tone issues, but it's a small percentage of people. You have to train your ear. My ear improved as I concentrated and experimented. I worked hard at it. I sing infinitely worse than I play guitar, but I can now tell when a singer is off tune / out of pitch (I might not know if they are sharp or flat), but I know when they are off. I swear I could be a great judge on American Idol.

It's now 2013 and a beginner guitarist like me who knows so little about music has the #1 tutorial site for U2 songs. It's just crazy. Seriously? Compared to Mick and so many other great guitarists out there, I'm a hack. But I did it with hard work! And anyone in the community can do the same thing. It's an amazing feeling to figure something out by yourself and produce a piece of music (whether you wrote it or not). Companies like Fractal give you the tool to do this!

So to my point. It's ok to ask for a preset. But why buy an Axe-Fx II and not spend the time to learn how to use it? I know why - it's the "want it now generation." That's one of the byproducts of technology. The Axe is the most powerful digital processor on this planet. Big time musicians and recording engineers are using it. You think Dallas asks me for my presets? Of course not. They build their own. If you really want to learn about the Edge's tone, then I suggest the following:

1. Commit - spend a lot of time on one song you really like. Listen to many live versions. Pick one. Use my tutorials but also watch videos of Edge. I'm sure you will catch a mistake I've made somewhere. But learn the song first. Forget about the preset (just use something close to make it fun). You have to get the notes and timing/rhythm down first. If you play off time with the best preset in the world, you will sound like crap. I hear too many clips/covers of great presets and awful timing.
  2. Try building your own preset (just once!) - come on guys/gals! You are sitting in front of a processor with exponentially more processing power than the Space Shuttle's computer and you want someone to just hand you a preset? If it doesn't sound right, what are you going to do? Ask someone to go through every parameter online and change it for you? You are missing so much more. If you spend the time learning the effects and how they work, experimenting with all the controls etc. you will be able to do anything by yourself. Don't get me wrong, I ask for help sometimes, but at least I've invested time in understanding what the controls do and how the change the tones. It takes hours/weeks/months, but it's a fun journey and then you can build presets for your gear that will sound so much better. If you use someone else's preset, then spend time playing with every single parameter and try to improve it. In fact, you owe it to the person who shared it with you do to that. Respect the amount of time and effort that goes into building these presets. I've taken what sounded like some of the best presets and couldn't get them to work for me. I then started to build my own from scratch, which takes time (a lot of comparisons to live tracks over many days because you have to step away and take a break because your brain starts hearing things). My current Axe-Fx AC30 model was built from scratch. i've been tweeking and upgrading it for at least two years! I keep comparing it to the "It Might Get Loud" deleted scene and other favorite clips. I'm always testing and challenging my ears/brain. It makes me better at using the Axe-Fx. BTW, there are many ways to get the same effect on the Axe. I can get the exact same drive tone by using two different drive models (by changing the EQ, clip types and other parameters). The combinations are limitless, so you can do this and sound like a pro!
  3. Practice - over and over and over again. Someone on this board did a great sounding cover of a song, but certain parts were just not played correctly at all. Why all the focus on the tones and not the notes? It doesn't make any sense to me. Record yourself and then A/B compare your clip to your favorite clip of Edge playing it. I promise when you do this you will say, "Holy crap, I sound horrible! That's not what I heard when I was playing." It happens to me all the time. Back to the drawing board!
  4. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's a journey. If you want to learn to play your favorite songs and sound like your favorite guitarists, then stop taking short cuts.

I'm not saying that I won't share my presets anymore. I'll always share, but I think I've invested enough hours into this hobby to say that I have no respect for those that ask for presets and haven't even tried to build one (especially if you own an Axe super computer). Of course I can't judge any specific person because I can't prove whether someone tried to build a preset, but my guess is very few who ask for them try to build them. At a minimum, one can download my older versions, load them and then adjust them for their gear. You don't need my "latest preset."

Anyone who buys an Axe-Fx II or other powerful processor as a plug-and-play device is not only missing out an a great opportunity to learn about effects and sound engineering, but they are short cutting their ability to become a better guitarist. The Axe-Fx doesn't make you a good guitarist. Your hands and ears make you a great Axe-Fx preset builder. The best clips in this community are those that focus first on the guitar playing (especially timing and rhythm).

So, please... if you have an Fractal, Line 6 pro unit or similar processor, spend many hours/days/weeks/months/years learning how to use it - meaning every effect. I still haven't mastered everything in the Axe-Fx but at least I try a little every week. Experiment with every single parameter. Invest time in your ears/mind. In the end you will be able to dial in almost any tone you want for not just U2 songs, but any song.

I've built awesome presets for Rush, P!nk, Boston, Keith Urban, and others, (and no, don't ask me to share them, LOL). From whom did I learn how to create these other presets?

.... the Edge, of course.

Michael

PS - One of my next tutorials (not promising it will be THE next one, but within the next several months), will be The Fly - Boston version. Everything else about it is top secret until it comes out. But what I will say is that with a few hours of work, I think I have come closer to replicating the shimmer at the beginning of the Boston version (that ethereal, swirly, lush shimmer) than anyone else I've heard in the U2 community (and I'm still tweaking it). How did I do it? Read everything above again. It's a process of experimentation and determination. Will I share it? Not sure yet. Might keep this one to myself in the spirit of my rant above. BTW, there is no one answer. It can be done in many different ways. Happy preset building!

;-)

Comments

+1 to this
    I understand and share easily your point of view.
    These are many ways to enjoy making music as a hobby, and trying to understand how the preset are build is for sure one way to go and a Very rewarding experience.
    I always try to understand better what is behind the scene, and this is also why i try to build some pedals by myself. Just to learn something out of it.
    It doesn't make me a better guitarist, but probably help me to understand better my sound chain and use it.

I dont own a axe FX, and i am not sure i could make a good use of it if i dont already dont understand Very Weil the hd500.

Of course Michael, Thanks a lot for your dedication to the u2 fan community.
    Never forget to have your own pleasure. The rest is not really important.
    Updated 09-14-2013 at 11:08 AM by manu68
    Excellent points, Michael. I'm one of your biggest fans :-). The smile on my face when I tried your Ultra WOWY shimmer for the first time, or listening to your One cover with that brilliant leslie sound and playing... Really inspiring to know you are out there working on this stuff and nailing the songs one by one. I have certainly enjoyed the absolutely amazing presets you've posted the last few years, but I also build my own (for the Ultra at least, haven't really gotten around to make many for the Axe2 yet)
    Great post Michael. My journey began in 2005 and will continue for quite some time Im sure. I happen to be taking a little break at the moment and will come back ready to tweak away. Ill never forget when I saw one of the "experts" live for the first time and was blown away. I asked very naively how do you get that sound. He replied, "Ive been playing that song for 14 years." I would say to anyone starting their journey, prepare to spend the next 5-10 years of your life playing and dialing in sounds if you want to get the tone youre looking for.
    I couldn't agree more Michael.
    I can only speak of my own experience but presets others have been so kind to share have never worked for me. I suppose if I had the exact same equipment as the person posting the preset it may have worked better. But very few people have the exact same equipment. I hazard to guess how many players changed equipment, at great cost because they failed to get the same results as the person they are trying to emulate. This includes myself by the way. There is no 'holy grail' piece of kit that will produce instant The Edge. I can't tell you how many times I tried someone's preset and did not like the result and tweaked and re-tweaked until the final result bore no resemblance to the original preset. I might as well of started from scratch on my own and learned something along the way. If one piece of kit is different (DD-20 vs DL4) and/or setting varies, it is going to sound different. You made an point somewhere Michael that even The Edge probably can't replicate his tone from the early years. I found that liberating to be honest with you. As a matter of fact this was a defining moment for me to just try to work out the tone with the equipment I have. This process has gotten me closer than any preset. Having said all of this, I still rely on others to point me in the right direction for what effects are being used for a specific tone. Once I have this info I will tweak according to my ear, including signal path. As an intermediate player, if there was one piece of advice to pass along, it would be to get a multi effect unit ie: HD500, Boss GT, etc, and learn it well. It will serve you well and save you money until you are ready to upgrade. I wish I would have done this, hindsight 20/20. So all of you neophytes, intermediates out there, pay heed to Michaels advice, he's right IMHO. As an exercise I have recently challenged myself to learn a U2 song, tone and all, on my own, one that Michael has not yet covered. Thanx Michael.
    Well stated Michael. About two years ago I sent you a private message thanking you for your amazing tutorials upon discovering U2GT. At the time I naively mentioned my desire to get the AxeFx in part to have access to you presets. As a 40 something myself, who had only been dabbling in guitar for a few years, I had high expectations and an under appreciation for just how much work lie ahead. A trail of equipment behind me, I finally have the AF2, Atomic CLR, and a Fender US Strat with Kinman pups. I also just finished converting a spare bedroom into a studio, complete with acoustic panels, etc. Every upgrade on this path was an improvement for sure. But there is just no substitute for hard work and practice in the pursuit of tone. Presets aren't the magic that I expected. Sure, it's great to see the signal chain and approach someone took, but with so many variables between peoples equipment and playing I've found they are just a framework at best. I've spent the last year learning the Axe through the front panel and generally trying to improve my playing. I've learned bits of U2 songs, but I can honestly say I'm just now settling into the process of breaking your tutorials down and learning the songs. So yes - It's a long journey and there's probably never been a better time to take it - amazing technology available, a wealth of information on the internet, and generous individuals such as yourself that take the time to freely teach others how to play. Now if I just had more free time! Thanks again Michael.
    A great input for the spirit of the community.

I can't agree more but I have to admit that studying your presets was a huge help when I started tweaking the Axe. The same when started playing guitar after studying your tutorials.
    Of course, we all could do it alone but the fact is that someone like you Michael pushed (involuntarily) dozens (hundreds ?) guys to buy a guitar, some effects and sometimes an amp then try and play like Edge. Because you showed and proved that it was possible and above all you SHARED your knowledge (including presets).
    In early 2010, I was barely playing 2 or 3 songs on acoustic guitar. If I hadn't came across U2GT watching this Michael O'What teaching me how to play the songs I loved and how to get the right tones, I would probably never start the journey. Today, I keep going. I play about 30 U2 songs (many learned by myself with a "MOH approach"), have 8 guitars, make my own Axe presets and play in a baby U2 tribute band. I'm happy because it's a teenage dream that has come true (I'm 41). All this would have never happened if Michael didn't grant me with his tutorials and his presets at the start of my journey. Of course, the rest is hard work and bleeding fingers on the strings of my guitars.

So I like to think, in spite of the truth in your words, that sharing a preset may be sometimes an opportunity to help someone to understand a point or to ring a bell allowing him to go further on his own path, his own journey, like me 3 years ago. It's all our community is about : sharing knowledge and points of view about Edge's playing and tones to improve our own knowledge and skills.
    Anyway, a preset is hardly ever useable as it is. So the guy who thinks "I get the presets and it's ok" goes wrong.

Well, my 2 cents.
    Thank you Michael O'Hare, thank you U2GT, thank you guys.
    I can totally relate with Stephane. I definitely learn best from examples and have benefited greatly from others who have shared their patches with me. I now often build my own, but couldn't have learned as quickly or easily without their great examples.

Agreed that one will always need to tweak a patch to get it to sound best for you, but sharing of patches has been huge in helping me learn how to use my equipment and getting to the tones I'm looking for quicker.

It's somewhat a parallel to Michaels tutorial videos. Most of us would benefit from not using them and figuring out a song all on our own however following Michaels videos allows us to do it much quicker, easier, and with more success. Not to mention it's helped me learn some things that helps me in figuring out songs for myself.
    Very well said. I know I needed to read this.

Thank you for your work, tips, and inspiration.

AF
    Great piece Michael' I have just recently bought an "Axe-FX2 mark 2" and I am just taking my time with the manual and just familiarizing myself with the layouts and presets' although I am going to use your core Ac30 model as my basis for creating my own presets' I want to be able to use this extremely versatile piece of kit quickly and easily and the only way of doing this is as you point out' is by spending weeks maybe years learning the ins and outs' I feel very lucky to have one of these and I am greatly looking forward to my own "Journey" cheers Michael for your wise words.
    I was one of the people who asked for a preset at the time. SORRY MOH. I had actually built my 'One' preset while I was watching the videos from MOH. My issue was the way I asked. I couldn't get the Rotary right, got the ****s and thought where can I get this easily ... In hindsight it was just a freq vas tone issue and I should have kept fiddling until I got it. Some of you may remember that I used to be quite vocal on this site but have gone very quiet recently... I decided to pull my finger out and really get this sorted... I can now pitch & beat perfect play OoC, AIWIY, ISHFWILF and have nearly sorted One. We had a few people over the other night, had a few beers and then I was actually asked (!!) to play some songs to this group. Would never have happened 12 months ago. Due to "getting the message" all I had to do was turn on the Apple, the Axe FX 2 and start playing. I now know whatI am doing and what some of the knobs do on the Axe...

I was so happy with where I had come from.

Michael's right ... I just was looking for the quickest way out but this was not the best way.... My ear is way better and I can actually pick where Edge is off, like in Live @ Glastonbury. LOL

Lesson learned .... Thanks Michael for everything. Gonna bugger off now and get the solo sorted on One.