Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Edge PAUSES

The Edge PAUSES

Hi All
    im trying to get Bad right. i have watched and learnt of Michael's excellent tutorial. however i notice now the edge pauses after hitting the E string 12 freight.
    we all now the edge changes up just about every concert. in reference to the tutorials Michael shows that the edge keeps hitting the 5th and fourth string straight after the e string.
    is this a new thing and constant? has anyone seen him do this is other concerts. i find it easier to play this way and keeping time. does any of you play like this. you can clearly see him pause when the camera is on him at the start. no disrespect to michales tutorials, if it wasn't for him i could not play correctly. just intersted in thoughts from members

ERGOFLEX0812

Can you post examples of what you mean? The link that you included doesn't point at anything for me.

This is a clip of me playing it:

This is the Edge on ZOOTV - starting watching at 00:50:

I think my right hand looks like his, but I may have watched it too many times.

-Phil

ok so see how the edge hits the E string the goes straight back to the rhythm. in the newer videos and the one i tried to post shows he hits the E string pauses then back into the rhythm.

https://youtu.be/xx7fR5rZH-E

this is what i was meant to post

I notice he plays it both ways - sometimes pauses, sometimes not, probably because it’s hard to break his old habit of not pausing. See starting about 1:50 of your video (and he actually misses a note in there). Perhaps he wants to pause so that the ringing E string isn’t drowned out by the subsequent stroke. With the delay timing and no pause you’re going back and hitting the first A/D string stroke at the same time that the first echo of the E string occurs. Either way sounds good!

Here's my guess: he's not always hitting the string when his right hand is moving. He is keeping time by moving that right hand, but is usually either very lightly hitting and muting, or missing the A string when his right had picks down on the beat after the high E. What I just wrote is probably not super clear, but to explain it better, I would probably have to do a video and hum the the strumming pattern. If people are interested in this awesome small detail, I am ready to dive in.

-Phil

I vote a +1 to Phil's offer on a video to help. I've struggled with this song for decades and still don't feel 100% with it. Any help from someone who has it down is always a good thing!

i vote +2 for Phil's offer. I'm struggling also. i have basis and know the chords etc but putting to guitar is beyond me at the moment

+3
    It's always nice to get new video from Phil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast