Thread: Twilight Red Rocks Cover Test

Twilight Red Rocks Cover Test

Hey all, this is a humble try at the Red Rocks Version of Twilight. I tried to get some ideas from other Ytubers but only found one that was really close to the original and that was Sherm911 if anyone has checked his Videos out. I thought it would be a little easier to get Edges Tone for this Version but found it was definately a bit harder than expected and just went with it. I think I would have had better results in Tone with a Real AC30 and a DMM but this was the closest I could get with the AXE 2. Thanks for listening https://soundcloud.com/vic909b1/twil...6b1f51947e6d1e
    Last edited by VIC909B1; 12-04-2021 at 05:24 AM.

I find you are nearly there, tone and playing are quite good.
    Did you recently buy an axe 2?, I thought you used an line 6 HX Stomp
    If so, what’s your experience with it compare to line 6 ?. I was often tempted to switch but I’m quite happy overall with the helix.
    I have also a version of twilight with Helix and Variax (don’t have an explorer so I used the variax emulation).
    My tone has more distortion than yours but I like yours as well , I think somewhere in between the two would be the sweet spot.
    Here’s a link to mine if you want ti check it out.

https://youtu.be/qy9dLv-dJlk

Otherwise , if you have bought the axe 2 check out Edo’s pressests, which are the best out there by far, maybe buy a pack to learn how he does them and work from there.
    And yes I also find Sherm911 plays great

Quote Originally Posted by felobo View Post
    I find you are nearly there, tone and playing are quite good.
    Did you recently buy an axe 2?, I thought you used an line 6 HX Stomp
    If so, what’s your experience with it compare to line 6 ?. I was often tempted to switch but I’m quite happy overall with the helix.
    I have also a version of twilight with Helix and Variax (don’t have an explorer so I used the variax emulation).
    My tone has more distortion than yours but I like yours as well , I think somewhere in between the two would be the sweet spot.
    Here’s a link to mine if you want ti check it out.

https://youtu.be/qy9dLv-dJlk

Otherwise , if you have bought the axe 2 check out Edo’s pressests, which are the best out there by far, maybe buy a pack to learn how he does them and work from there.
    And yes I also find Sherm911 plays great
    Hey Thanks Felobo, I wasn't completely satisfied with the Cover overall but it was a good start.

I checked out your Cover and have to say it sounds Really good man, not a lot of good renditions of this Song that are actually based from the Red Rocks Version.

I have had the Axe 2 MK1 for quite a while now but still struggle with Distortion Tones, especially Edges. Like you said our Covers are on each side of the spectrum but still have qualities that resemble his Tone from Red Rocks.

I was going to use my Epi Explorer with Seth Lovers but the String Action needs dropped a bit and decided to use my Vintage Charvette with a FS1 in the Bridge and found the Tone to be better and easier to play overall. The Necks on these Vintage early 90's
    Charvels are soooo good.

I was contemplating getting a HX Stomp or something like that and throwing it into the FX Loop of the Axe and see what I can come up with. From what I have read on this Site and others is the current Line 6 units are much easier to navigate and get to your Tone goal easier but the only
    thing that would be concerning to some is that the Delays weren't up to par with the Axe as well as other effects. For the price point though I would have probably bought the Helix first, I think its money well spent for the average Guitar Player who just wants to record at home. I feel the Axe is
    overkill for the average home Guitar Player and you have to set aside a lot of time learning before you can actually get on a path of getting good Tones on the fly, that was one of my draw backs in owning the Axe Fx not to mention the constant updates that make you have to tweak the Patches you
    spent hours getting the way you wanted, it got annoying after a while but now I don't have to worry about that since there are no more updates for mine.

Thanks VIC !
    I was confused with another member, but it you have a Axe II going to a HX stomp would feel like a massive downgrade. Clearly, for U2 tones, the delays and reverbs, as you say, are second to none in the fractal world. If The Edge himself uses the Axe II and has closely worked with fractal there are no more questions to be asked really. This is why I sometimes consider switching to fractal. The FM9 seems like the perfect unit right now, but what stops me is that in the end I'm happy with the helix and I find that I spend more time playing than tweaking, and don't feel like doing the opposite.
    If I did change once I pretty sure that I would get a pack from Edo and go from there, I think it would save me a lot of time. In your case, if you're not happy with your distortion tones, getting Edo's patches is something to consider, as it would help you a lot with gain staging and amp and cab settings.
    Anyway, as I said in my previous post, you're not far from a really good tone, your cover does sound cool and your playing is really good.
    Have fun !