Thread: Backingtrack "40"

Backingtrack "40"

Hello, I play - like probably many of you - in a U2 cover band. We had the idea that we would record our instruments / vocals in the event that someone is missing from the rehearsal, just need to play that particular track. I found a lot of songs under "Karaoke-version". Here you can load every single track. I did that so far and then used it as a pilot track.
    "40" was unfortunately not included, so I used the whole song as a pilot track. I used the live version of the record "Under a blood red sky". However, I noticed that the clock is not constant. Does anyone have any idea which version I can use as a backing track / pilot track (the version should be nearly the same as that of "under a blood red sky" - not like "war"), where the clock is stable? thank you

40 is a song that was before U2 started utilizing a click into their shows. Added to that, it was a unique flower amongst their songs as they played it at the end and Edge and Adam swapped places. Added to that, I don't think Adam ever played the guitar parts the same anyway.

You're not going to find it as a karaoke version with midi and a track on a set tempo. You'd probably be best recording your band collectively and then muting or exporting versions without each instrument and just play by the feel you each have for each other when you're independent.

The latest I can find for you is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ucSgJmsck

The IEM there would probably only be for monitoring but they are better 'tempo players' now than they were in 1983 as an example. The arrangement is usually fairly consistent. The drum pattern is the same throughout start with a loop of that. I mapped the tempo at 72 bpm from that video.

Thank you very much - yes, I was afraid that I would only find something on youtube. But what I find very remarkable is that U2 releases a (live) record, in which timing fluctuations can actually be demonstrated.

- yeah it will vary throughout.

What we did for another tribute show (not U2) was take the existing live track and manually program a click track to the variations. Ah I might as well just say it, it was one of the Beatles tribute shows. Anyway, because the 60s was well before tempo lock nor were there timing effects such as a delay, the 'click track' to match the video wall and match how the Beatles played that song is a manually programmed MIDI note in the track that keeps the Beatles time instead of a tempo-locked time in the show. It's hella-realistic but takes longer for performers to get up to speed with where the speed-ups and slow-downs are. Once the performer gets a feel for it, it's simple. A different show I was involved in had someone manually adjusting the video jog wheel in the booth to as close to the daily variations the band was playing live and THAT was a pain in the arse for that person. lol I shouldn't tell these stories.

You could try that. Or you could try an automated tempo lane. Or you could just pick one of the bpms and start building off that.
    Last edited by storm; 05-31-2020 at 06:02 PM.

OK - thanks - I have now created a 74 bpm click track and put it under the track that I took from your link (converted to wav file). It works!

sweet!

more characters to hit the minimum