Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-It-Yourself The Edge Stratocaster

Do-It-Yourself The Edge Stratocaster

I recently purchased a MIM Standard Stratocaster, together with my new fx, Boss GT1000 (I embed a test of it, two amps mixed, voc ac30 and fender twin reverb), and I immediately fell in love with it.

But I feel that something is missing, so I was thinking to upgrade my strat with Fs1 and fat50 pups. I know that there's a signature strat over there, ready to be bought, but 1500 euro is a bit pricey, most of all because I paid my MIM 500 euro and if I buy pups I'll spend about other 250 euro more = total 750 against 1500. what do you suggest? pros and cons of doing this way?

You’ve got a great sound. I agree the signature guitar is overpriced. But I don’t recommend the FS1 + 50s. There’s much better pickup sets for an “edge” tone. Plus the Edge strat pickups are modified to work together. Kinmans are my recommendation. It’s also worth noting Edge has stopped using his signature strat... and is back to using the prototypes.
    Last edited by mysteriouswaysboy; 05-31-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriouswaysboy View Post
    You’ve got a great sound. I agree the signature guitar is overpriced. But I don’t recommend the FS1 + 50s. There’s much better pickup sets for an “edge” tone. Plus the Edge strat pickups are modified to work together. Kinmans are my recommendation. It’s also worth noting Edge has stopped using his signature strat... and is back to using the prototypes.
    what set of kinmans? :-)

I would keep my tone like this. Very good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriouswaysboy View Post
    It’s also worth noting Edge has stopped using his signature strat... and is back to using the prototypes.
    But the prototypes are the same as the signatures. That's why they called prototypes. Ok, the rosewood strats have different woods.

Your tone on the Streets riff is very good, I'm not sure it needs anything. The only thing that seems a little different is the panning of the delays, which make it lack that bit of "gallop" the riff has. See if you can keep the delays more center in the mix, and then see how you like the tone.

There's some strange phasing on the Pride riff, and the modulation is too warbly on AIWIY. But your core Strat tone is good!

If you must upgrade your pickups, I've been through quite a few different sets, and the ones that stand out to me are Custom Shop 69's, Eric Johnson signatures, and Klein 65's and 69's.

And of course the originals from the 70's are good too! :P

Also keep in mind that a tremelo and block upgrade can make a massive difference in clarity, especially on a MiM Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantel View Post
    what set of kinmans? :-)
    I'm sure he's referring to the regular Woodstock set.

I have a set of them but they are no longer installed in anything. They are missing the high end airy-ness and chime due to the hum cancelling coils.

YMMV of course.

So you all don't suggest to buy fat 50 + fs1, most of all because the signature ones are different from store ones? But is this difference so big?

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzolaus View Post
    But the prototypes are the same as the signatures. That's why they called prototypes. Ok, the rosewood strats have different woods.
    I’m not too sure about that. If that’s the case, I’d expect him to use the signature strat to promote on stage if it’s going to sound the same anyways. He’s still trying to promote the amp (the only amp onstage) since no ones paying for an overpriced 5e3.
    Last edited by mysteriouswaysboy; 06-01-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumu2 View Post
    I'm sure he's referring to the regular Woodstock set.

I have a set of them but they are no longer installed in anything. They are missing the high end airy-ness and chime due to the hum cancelling coils.

YMMV of course.
    Yes or even the Clapton set he sells I’ve heard great thing about. Mick has the Woodstock’s in his, think u2john too.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast