Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Fender Ed O'Brien Signature Strat

Soooooo...
    I received the EOB Strat yesterday.
    I didn't spend a lot of time with it (about ten minutes with my oldest son nearby) but enough to make two observations.

First one : the guitar - B-stock - arrived with a dead battery. Fortunately I had a new battery in a drawer. Otherwise the guitar does not sound!

Second one : the use of the sustainer is less easy than I thought.
    I imagined, a little naively probably, that it was enough to let "run" the finger along the string but it is not.
    As with the Ebow I invariably lose the sustain.
    More precisely, on WOWY, everything is fine from the 14th to the 15th then from the 15th to the 17th. But I lose the sustain when I get to the 19th.
    Does anyone have a tip to share?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JKybot View Post
    Does anyone have a tip to share?
    Play around with the height of the sustainer. You want it as close as possible to the strings to allow the electromagnetic field to be as effective as possible, but not so close that the strings bottom out or the sustainer prevents the strings from vibrating properly.

I'm not sure what board is in the EOB Strat., but when I built my sustainer guitar using the Fernandes sustainer board, there are a few pots on the board I had to tweak.

As for the using it, I find sometimes you have to hammer on the string to get it vibrate and you also have to try and mute the other strings. I'm certainly no pro at it and it took a while to get better at, just like it did using a slide.
    Last edited by Toopy14; 09-30-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks.

I followed your tip and upped the pickup sustainer as much as possible.
    I could not say if it is better or not but this time I was able to play the whole intro without (too much) losing the sustain.
    One thing is certain, it takes practice.

I recorded the best I could get out of it so far.
    Just HD500X ampsim, delay and "shimmer". No drive as I found out that it made the sound more difficult to control.

I don't have a lot of time to play so I don't know if I'll be able to give it a try again before I have to send the guitar back.
    I think I'll use this recording to add it to the existing backtrack. So I would just have to play the parts without sustain.
    A bit frustrating - especially since the sustainer pickup seems to add "body" to the sound throughout the song - but it seems to me the wisest solution for my finances!
    It's a nice guitar but way too expensive for a one-song guitar.
    Last edited by JKybot; 10-04-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JKybot View Post
    I recorded the best I could get out of it so far.
    That sounds really good! Definitely nothing wrong with your playing, in my opinion.

I just noticed one other difference between the EOB Strat and the Fernandes, that may have an impact.

The EOB Strat has a JB Jr. in the bridge position, which is 15.2k and the Fernandes has a Hotrail in the bridge position, which is 16.6k. So the Hotrail is a little hotter.

Thank you.

I'm not an expert about DCR pickup so I trust you on that!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234