Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fly--my attempt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtc View Post
    sleepyrnr,

Not trying to gatecrash your thread! I was working on The Fly earlier and I recorded the main riff - putting my money where my mouth is:

Chain is Fassel Wah (parked at 80%) > Classic Dist > Analogue Phaser > Strymon Timeline > Vox AD120VTX (using speaker emulation outputs)

That's with the bridge pickup on a Strat with Kinman Woodstocks.

Work in progress but let me know what you think. Really let loose on me haha Sounds a bit fizzy possibly but I mixed it on headphones.

Darren

Darren, that sounds perfect--I'm really looking forward to hearing your full cover.
    Got home from work about an hour ago, and I've been practicing the main riff. I can hear the desired tone 'pop' out here and there, but the whole "mute-all-strings-but-a-and-sometimes-E" thing is a real b***h to get down

If memory serves, one of the guys is doing his own tutorial for Gloria...If Michael's next tutorial isn't the Fly, you should do one

Thanks Aaron - much appreciated. I was going for Glastonbury / From the Sky Down tone, so I played it on bridge. A chunkier sound to be had on the neck pickup, but I'm prepping this to do it like Glasto.

It is a tricky one at first - I found myself moving all my fingers up and down at the same time, whereas you need to mute and unmute the A while keeping a constant mute on the low E string. It is very easy to have that E coming in at the wrong time!

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron23 View Post
    MUCH closer to the tone
    im relearning the strumming pattern for the main riff... its a lil tricky but a do hear a drastic difference. Id say its more "chunky" if you will

sleepyrnr,

Thanks. Not quite perfect when I listen back this morning - I need to let the D on the 5th fret of the A string ring out more as I am losing it when I let the open E come in. It gets better when the bass kicks in. The tone sounds good though - getting there!

I don't really have time to do a tutorial, but I may do a full version for the band - my arrangement idea is basically like Glastonbury with the infinite intro, played Zoo TV style for guitar parts but with the chorus style of Elevation version (Edge strums staccato, Bono sings all of it with no Edge falsetto, and the chorus is 3 sections not 2). Easy!!

If I do, I'll certainly post it.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyrnr View Post
    Darren, that sounds perfect--I'm really looking forward to hearing your full cover.
    Got home from work about an hour ago, and I've been practicing the main riff. I can hear the desired tone 'pop' out here and there, but the whole "mute-all-strings-but-a-and-sometimes-E" thing is a real b***h to get down

If memory serves, one of the guys is doing his own tutorial for Gloria...If Michael's next tutorial isn't the Fly, you should do one

+1 to the fly tutorial. Darren get your finger out

On a serious note, a short video of the left hand would be useful, I was practicing this last night too, sounds great, looks easy, but.......hmmm is going to take some practice, like you said my fingers were all over the place, a mind of their own
    Last edited by bigtim; 03-06-2012 at 08:30 PM.

ps if we're doing requests my favourite version if the elevation tour live (i think) the one that begins with the F#m - A - D arpegiated shimmering intro.

Darren it won't take you long.... the verse and chorus are easy, just the clever harmonic bits, solo and outro to really spend time on

BigTim,

Just done one - be gentle on me cos the circumstances at night are against me!

Sorry about the sound, same settings as yesterday but kids in bed and everything DOWN but the basic principal can be heard hopefully - it's all about muting the E most of the time and bringing out the riff on the 7th and 5th frets of the A string, then letting the open E ring out at the end of the phrase. Your right hand will be strumming and hitting all the bottom strings. Biggest thing - making that E be muted still while bouncing the A string fretted and muted.

My first "tutorial"! Who'd have believed it?!

Thanks to Mrs T-C for putting down her glass of wine for 5 minutes

Darren

Good man, wow what service, and to Mrs T-C great camera work again!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Darren

No problem BigTim. Just looked at the other technique vid I posted and he does it slightly differently using the little finger to fret the 7th. And, he uses his middle finger to mute the E. Six and two threes really, same notes different technique. My pinkie isn't that great so I do it my way ha ha If you have a strong pinkie, you can likely keep your hand in a more static position, but hey my hand is doing something!

Darren

Blog Entries
    Heh heh - Fly Tutorial on the fly!!! get it?

Sleepyrnr - your turn....
    "If I could play one note for a whole song, I would" - Guess who said that.

tt you should have your own tv show

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast