Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fly--my attempt

Senior Member My street has a name's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that it is a Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah. According to Pedal Nuts, Edge used a standard CryBaby. I use the standard model and when you combine it with a heavy overdrive you can really dive into that "Fly" tone.

http://pedalnuts.blogspot.com/2008/0...edalboard.html
    Last edited by My street has a name; 03-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Last Name: Edge
    First Name: The

Aaron23
    BEAT ME TO IT !
    I ran into this clip and was gonna use it on here as a reference on how to work the wah... were you at this show also by any chance ?

Lots of new info everyone thx for the input !

great, great info guys. thx vm. thx for the detailed explanation darren and the great short video you attached. I knew about the strumming part, but honestly was not aware that (if done right of course) the difference in the sound is so huge.
    keep on rocking sleepy, this song is made for it. I like your tone and don't take the guys too seriously about the wah. its a bit like teriyaki sauce... you can never have too much of it LOL. (just kidding of course, but I overdo the wah all the time, simply because I like it so much. guilty as charged)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron23 View Post
    BEAT ME TO IT !
    I ran into this clip and was gonna use it on here as a reference on how to work the wah... were you at this show also by any chance ?

Lots of new info everyone thx for the input !
    No, but I was at the 2011 Chicago show. Definitely on of the coolest experiences I've ever had.

Blog Entries
    LOL yeah, the wah is definitely the 'ranch dressing' of effects--now I just gotta keep from drowning my salad. Thanks everybody for the help--I'll be working on incorporating all this--hoping to have a new clip up sometime next wk. I've been working on the strumming today, and I think there's a "sweet spot" for parking the wah, just before it's all the way in toe position...

Quote Originally Posted by My street has a name View Post
    No, but I was at the 2011 Chicago show. Definitely on of the coolest experiences I've ever had.
    Awesome--was that the one where they surprised the audience with 'One Tree Hill'? Wish I'd been there. I did get to see U2 in Nashville last summer--the night Bono gave his freakin' Gretsch away

Blog Entries
    "OK, here is the deal: If we screw up real badly, you can't put in on the internet." Anyways back on topic...

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyrnr View Post
    I did get to see U2 in Nashville last summer--the night Bono gave his freakin' Gretsch away
    Oh, to the blind guy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayh View Post
    Oh, to the blind guy?
    Yeah--I couldn't believe it. Perfect ending to a great show. And that's my last off-topic post

sleepyrnr,

Not trying to gatecrash your thread! I was working on The Fly earlier and I recorded the main riff - putting my money where my mouth is:

Chain is Fassel Wah (parked at 80%) > Classic Dist > Analogue Phaser > Strymon Timeline > Vox AD120VTX (using speaker emulation outputs)

That's with the bridge pickup on a Strat with Kinman Woodstocks.

Work in progress but let me know what you think. Really let loose on me haha Sounds a bit fizzy possibly but I mixed it on headphones.

Darren
    Last edited by dtc; 03-05-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Aaron23
    MUCH closer to the tone
    im relearning the strumming pattern for the main riff... its a lil tricky but a do hear a drastic difference. Id say its more "chunky" if you will

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast