Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pod HD500 AC30 Tone Comparisons

and maybe throw in the tech21 liverpool and the cheap joyo and harley benton clones aswell?
    just got my harley benton ac-truetone and tried it real quick and it looks (sounds) promising so far!!

vox HD500 sample 7.JPG

Just to compare the sample 7 and real AC30. The frequencies completely on the right are at about 12 kHz.
    The form of curves are similar. Not bad for a simulation.

And this is a sample played on my (cheap) guitar, with a preset from ...... The sample 7 is the Amp from this preset.
    The frequency curves is also very similar to the one of the AC30C2 on the Vox website. (AC30 normal channel Rhythm)
    http://www.voxamps.com/support/demos/
    Manu68 sample 7.JPG

I forgot to mention that making such frequency curves is very easy.
    Record or mp3/wv in reaper.
    Then add FX : JS gfx analyser to the track
    Then play the track and pause where you want. The frequencies are changing, but it is possible to snap an "average" curve.
    The method can be used for any sample . so, If you have real recording of AC30, you can also make a try .
    You can also make the same thing as I have done with the samples from explorer32
    Last edited by manu68; 02-16-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Okay.
    Suspens is over.
    If you want to keep on trying blind test, don't use the following .zip.
    For the other, you will find in the .zip all my documentation regarding this test with sample from explorer32.
    There is also compilations of results I have made, mp3 samples, .... You will know which sample is what, and have the possibility to analyse or comment by yourself.

Enjoy !
    (I propose to discuss the results in the thread AC30 core tone)

http://www.2shared.com/file/cc_bCV32...est_core_.html

wow this is great ! I do think there is still room for improvement but nice to see that sample is getting very close :-)

Hello Stijn.
    Nice to see that what we are trying to do is appreciated.
    I suppose that you have already seen that the "sample 7" , which was highly appreciated during blind test, is the one that you have proposed.
    The other sample very close is the last one from the Group, from tootone

Yes I noticed but didn't want to spoil it for those that were following the discussion and didn't download the zip :-). I haven't contributed actively but the support from you guys is really exciting, tx. I will restring my guitar and try to improve it a bit. Thanks to your input, I'm now looking at reaper and I want to try to get closer to the original Vox AC30 spectrum. Looking at the spectrum of the original Vox, I might need a bit more treble or presence and see what the results are with a little less output volume (since db is a logarithmic scale so the difference in volume will have an impact on the tonal shape. Anyway, to be continued in the AC30 HD sim thread...

Good work you guys and 10/10 to Manu for all the effort in collating and sharing the complex information. It is very easy to get lost in all this

Even without a hd500 it is interesting for me to compare the patches and samples you create with my own Joyo based tone and tweak around to try and match the examples I like.

Blog Entries
    I'm just going back through this.

Briefly - 7 & 8 seems to get the most mentions, although there's no official poll. I'd agree these are the right ball park. Explorer explained he had his tone down to "9" - thats a significant roll off on a modern Strat... if its a notched Tone pot (10 is "out of circuit", so "9" is tone circuit engaged). In all the examples I posted my Strat Tone was 10 (I knew that gave me the option of rolling off top-end with the guitars controls) so thats why some of my later samples were quite bright - but also remember I had been looking to get a Universal Tone that was useable for Strat and Les Paul, without having to modify amp settings when you switched guitar.

Manu - I've downloaded the .zip file. Sample 7 was Stijn settings, Sample 8 was TooTone (before my foolish switch to Texas Specials) - I've recalled the point of discussion back at that point. Line 6 support board has some more stuff about Left and Right Channels (A and B paths) and System Input settings. So I am revisiting amp sim with new Line 6 knowledge in mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12