Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Epiphone Korina Explorer!

Congrats! Any reason for the korean model? The chinese is in mahogany looks more like Edge's guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
    very good! here in my country is impossible to find some explorer for left players ... like it happens with almost all the models, i think it´s a worldwide problem the left players have ...
    Yeah, I don't think you can find a lefty Explorer anywhere for much less than a small fortune (A Gibson one, of course. There are multiple other companies that make left-oriented explorer copies).

EDIT: Here's one actually, in the UK. Costs about as much as an Axe FX new I believe. So, not necessarily a small fortune. and not the same look, either: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Explo...item1c23c8a3da
    Last edited by Clayh; 02-13-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Marques View Post
    Congrats! Any reason for the korean model? The chinese is in mahogany looks more like Edge's guitar.
    Well I've been watching auction sites for months and it was very rare to find the Chinese model. In the end I got a great price for this model and could always sell for a profit if s better one comes up.

For me it's about sounding like the edge rather than looking like him. So the Korean does look different but good enough for me, and the stock pups are supposed to be better.
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Yep! I've heard that the stock pups on the korean version are better! I found 4 chineses explorers here in my country but they are in bad conditions or they are too expansive....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I've been watching auction sites for months and it was very rare to find the Chinese model. In the end I got a great price for this model and could always sell for a profit if s better one comes up.

For me it's about sounding like the edge rather than looking like him. So the Korean does look different but good enough for me, and the stock pups are supposed to be better.
    Congratulations! Great guitar I also have a Korean model, but i replaced the black knobs with yellow/gold ones. There's almost no difference from the Chinese model now, only that it has a little lighter body color. I'll upload a picture.

Hey Tim, Congrats on the new Epi! I bought mine off Ebay back during the summer and absolutely love it! It is also the Korean model but I think I like the lighter color wood as it shows off some really beautiful woodgrain a little better. I have also noticed a slight "imbalance" of the neck end to want to drop while playing, I find my self quite often readjusting the guitar while playing. I have seen a few articles where people have added a strap button on the backside of the body approx. where the neck joins the body and has solved this issue. I have not changed mine because I would probably screw it up Food for thought.

Blog Entries
    Hi Tim,
    Congrats !
    I wonder: does it sound a lot different from the Epiphone Les Paul ?
    Any idea?

Regards, Rob / CheapEdge ?

Share your findings with us. Great guitar !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapEdge View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Congrats !
    I wonder: does it sound a lot different from the Epiphone Les Paul ?
    Any idea?

Regards, Rob / CheapEdge ?
    Good question. Pups are the same so it should be similar. I don't have a LP for comparison but will post a tone sample when I have time.
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Good question. Pups are the same so it should be similar. I don't have a LP for comparison but will post a tone sample when I have time.
    I have both, and I think there is a notable difference, but then again, some LP's may sound exactly like Explorers. I find my LP a bit brighter, good for songs like UTEOTW and New Years Day. My explorer is a bit warmer in tone, especially the neck pick up, good for beautiful day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast