Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're The Best Thing About Me Tutorial

You're The Best Thing About Me Tutorial

Here is a tutorial for You're the Best Thing About Me. Drink IPA while you learn it.

-Phil

Blog Entries
    Hi Phil.

Great to see you posting tutorials again. The link doesn’t seem to be working though.

Tony

Hi Phil,
    Link doesn't work for me.
    Olivier

I think I fixed it. Sorry, it's been a little while....

very cool tutorial phil, as usual. Not my favorite song of the album and tbh i prefer lager over IPA. But nevertheless, as with all your tutorials, I thoroughly enjoyed that. thx for sharing.

(sign-o-the-times i guess, that not even a phil tut is provoking any participation in the showcase section. this forum is getting really quiet. where are you guys??? i know, i know, life and such...)

Quote Originally Posted by wildmorphlaw View Post
    I think I fixed it. Sorry, it's been a little while....

Very nice: I tried to look for your other tutorials (I find them very useful for my style of learning), but I can't seem to find them on your channel.

And by the way, I love IPA (try Brew Dog's Punk IPA, it really rocks)!

Nice tutorial as always Phil. Nice to have you back.

I was very pleased to see your treatment of the delay-chorus part, as I have felt that most of the other youtube tutorials have been wrong. I do play it slightly differently from you: here's a very quick video off the phone, so excuse the les paul, poor sound quality etc:

Chief difference is that I think Edge also plays the open G string at the start, and uses different fingering for the latter part of the riff. Hopefully you can see what I mean.

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts...

Thoroughly enjoyed this! Informative and entertaining. I've been working on this song, in particular the live version and l learn something new every time someone here posts a demo, tutorial, etc. Keep these coming! Also another IPA fan (we have lots of micro-brews that brew them here in San Diego).

Seems I'm the only one I'm hearing an open D string (we'll, a C# actually if tuned 1/2 down) in the second "shape" of the chorus arpeggios?

I think you can hear it when they play it on the Mexico souncheck (at 4m 52s):

My take with the AX8:

Last edited by josetxu; 03-05-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Lots of good thoughts here. The more I work on the tune, the more I think that it is all two sting stuff on B and E. When I played it by myself, I like adding some of those G string notes in the there, but when I played it with my tribute guys at rehearsal last week, it seemed incorrect. I am going to post a new video this week of just the chorus picking and maybe see if I can get a drum back beat to play it to. Some of these "easy" U2 guitar parts end up making me crazy when I am trying to perfect them. I think I played Pride wrong for like 5 years.

-Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast