Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You are the best thing about me cover with Helix

You are the best thing about me cover with Helix

Hi guys,

I'm a bit out of place here but since there is no a dedicated subforum for songs of experience yet I post it here.

Thanks to Bzag for the backing track

All effects and amp and cab simulations is done with the Helix and I used Edge's signature guitar in the quack position.

I played yesterday for 30-40 minutes to make this patch, not perfect yet, still some tweaking to do, but not bad already. that's the advantage with Helix, it is easy

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
    Last edited by felobo; 02-03-2018 at 01:51 PM.

ok, it seems that I can't use the original track on Soundcloud, got to do something about it, I'll make a youtube video then

Here are a couple of backing tracks you can use. The first one allows you to include what you want. My daughter wanted to sing this song with me playing so I excluded the guitar and lead vocals. Worked out great. The second one has been posted here before I think. Just options for you.

http://www.karaoke-version.com/custo...-about-me.html

https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/p...g_about_me.htm

Many thanks Bzag!.
    I used the second one but apparently Soundcloud still sees it as the original or containing the original.....
    damm!! I'm such a good Edge wannabe !! . just kidding !

I think that the youtube video is the only way

Voilà

Finally I ended up doing the video

Thanks to Bzag for the backing track

All effects and amp and cab simulations is done with the Helix and I used Edge's signature guitar in the quack position.

I played yesterday for 30-40 minutes to make this patch, not perfect yet, still some tweaking to do, but not bad already. that's the advantage with Helix, it is easy

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Nice work. I think the delay(s) on the chorus needs a little tweaking; maybe a bit slower or change your strumming rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson18 View Post
    Nice work. I think the delay(s) on the chorus needs a little tweaking; maybe a bit slower or change your strumming rate?
    Absolutely! That and the distortion on the second part of the solo riff, it’s not quite there yet.
    I put two delays in series for the chorus part , maybe there should only be one
    Someone knows the good settings for feeedback, mix, and number of delays ?

Thanks Nelson

Very nice! What effects are you using for the part just before the chorus where just the low E and A string are played? I haven't figured that out yet. When I started learning the song I also had switch in the quack position but noticed when listening to live performances, particularly the Fallon show, the intro/verse section sounds very bright and not at all like the sound in the quack position. I found the below youtube video of a sound check where you can see Edge changes the switch from 5 position (all the way down) to the quack position for the chorus. I started doing that (after some practice) and I think it got me closer to getting the sound correct. Glad the backing track worked out for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5Qm6jZQwc

Quote Originally Posted by bzag View Post
    Very nice! What effects are you using for the part just before the chorus where just the low E and A string are played? I haven't figured that out yet. When I started learning the song I also had switch in the quack position but noticed when listening to live performances, particularly the Fallon show, the intro/verse section sounds very bright and not at all like the sound in the quack position. I found the below youtube video of a sound check where you can see Edge changes the switch from 5 position (all the way down) to the quack position for the chorus. I started doing that (after some practice) and I think it got me closer to getting the sound correct. Glad the backing track worked out for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5Qm6jZQwc
    Thanks Bzag,
    what I add in that part compared to the intro is: overdrive (tube screamer), and I increase the feedback and the mix of the delay. For the intro I just have the simulation of the preamp of the SDD3000, the amp's drive quite high and the treble also higher than for the rest of the song. Actually I had not really seen any live performances in detail, at least not with the aim of learning the song, so that "before chorus" part I just improvised. Now, looking at the video you posted I see that Edges strikes the strings more often than what I think I do. And maybe with even more distortion and delay than me. Not even sure that he only hits one string, it sounds more as two are hit. I'll try it that way and see how it goes.
    I actually don't change from the quack position during the whole song, to me it sounded bright enough (also playing with the brightness of the amp helped, that's the advantage of the simulation, I guess), but I'll try it in the bridge position to see the difference.
    You could also post your version, maybe we can help each other.

Try like this: use just 8th note for verse (low in the mix about 20% , one repeat).
    For everything else use in parallel both 8th and Dotted 8th (high in the mix, 4-5 repeat). At Bpm 117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast