Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You are the best thing about me cover with Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Lory74 View Post
    Try like this: use just 8th note for verse (low in the mix about 20% , one repeat).
    For everything else use in parallel both 8th and Dotted 8th (high in the mix, 4-5 repeat). At Bpm 117
    That's is kind of what I have with the exception of being in series and not parallel. I'll try parallel then, thanks

Another option is edgewannabe’s site. Edo has contributed a different BPM than listed above for live playing & includes the ms for the 8th & dotted 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by felobo View Post
    Thanks Bzag,
    what I add in that part compared to the intro is: overdrive (tube screamer), and I increase the feedback and the mix of the delay. For the intro I just have the simulation of the preamp of the SDD3000, the amp's drive quite high and the treble also higher than for the rest of the song. Actually I had not really seen any live performances in detail, at least not with the aim of learning the song, so that "before chorus" part I just improvised. Now, looking at the video you posted I see that Edges strikes the strings more often than what I think I do. And maybe with even more distortion and delay than me. Not even sure that he only hits one string, it sounds more as two are hit. I'll try it that way and see how it goes.
    I actually don't change from the quack position during the whole song, to me it sounded bright enough (also playing with the brightness of the amp helped, that's the advantage of the simulation, I guess), but I'll try it in the bridge position to see the difference.
    You could also post your version, maybe we can help each other.
    Sure, here is a sample I recorded quickly. I'm using a standard MIM strat into a POD HD500x with the AC30 amp model and also the SDD-3000 (just for the preamp). The first part is just SDD3K preamp with a little reverb. The switch is in the bridge position. Just before the chorus part with the delay I switch to quack position. You'll notice the pause in my track when I'm doing that (I'm still working on moving the switch and tapping on the delay footswitch). My delay settings are the same as yours with 2 delays in series. Again, this was based on what I noticed from the live versions. The recorded one may be a little different. Love the sound of the Helix, BTW. One of these days I'll have to upgrade!

https://soundcloud.com/bob-zagarella...estthingsample

Quote Originally Posted by bzag View Post
    Sure, here is a sample I recorded quickly. I'm using a standard MIM strat into a POD HD500x with the AC30 amp model and also the SDD-3000 (just for the preamp). The first part is just SDD3K preamp with a little reverb. The switch is in the bridge position. Just before the chorus part with the delay I switch to quack position. You'll notice the pause in my track when I'm doing that (I'm still working on moving the switch and tapping on the delay footswitch). My delay settings are the same as yours with 2 delays in series. Again, this was based on what I noticed from the live versions. The recorded one may be a little different. Love the sound of the Helix, BTW. One of these days I'll have to upgrade!

https://soundcloud.com/bob-zagarella...estthingsample
    You are very close Bzag,
    if I could give some advices are more on the playing than on the sound. The intro part, or the main part if you want, I thing that you need to strike with more intention the strings, strike more often upwards than downwards, and hold the pick at the very edge of your finger tips so that you can actually hit it also a bit with the skin as well, to get the effect of cutting the chords and make them sharper (not easy to explain but you can definitely hear that). Also, listen well to the, or pay attention, to the right hand rhythm.
    The middle part sounds quite good to me.
    For the chorus part, I think that the delays are good but to me the first notes are not the good ones. I personally hit the 10th fret of E sharp and 12 fret of the B, this sounds good to me, then it goes into the 15th fret of the B and 14th of the G and so on, try it and see if it sounds good to you.

Also, and this is not a remark on your sample but an advice, the changes of pickup position make them stealing time to the previous part to finish rather than delaying the new part, it is less noticeable and less stressing as well
    I recorded another version (the audio only, I kept the same video) with all your comments and advices, I think it has improved quite a lot, I'll post it
    Last edited by felobo; 02-04-2018 at 09:48 PM.

I just recorded an improved version, taking in account your remarks and also I listen more carefully the original song to learn some more details.
    I kept the same video and included the new audio, it was much easier this way.

The changes I did are:

For the intro: I use the bridge position instead of the quack (you won't see this on the video obviously)
    For the part before the chorus: I use the same patch now as the intro but at a lower volume, and also bridge position
    Chorus: I put the delays in parallel and not in series, and I changed the mix and repeats
    Solo: the first part is cleaner, and the second with less distortion

I like it quite a lot, but I'm sure that there are still a few things to improve here and there. Let me know what you think

Thanks

Last edited by felobo; 02-04-2018 at 09:49 PM.

You are very close Bzag,
    if I could give some advices are more on the playing than on the sound. The intro part, or the main part if you want, I thing that you need to strike with more intention the strings, strike more often upwards than downwards, and hold the pick at the very edge of your finger tips so that you can actually hit it also a bit with the skin as well, to get the effect of cutting the chords and make them sharper (not easy to explain but you can definitely hear that). Also, listen well to the, or pay attention, to the right hand rhythm.
    The middle part sounds quite good to me.
    For the chorus part, I think that the delays are good but to me the first notes are not the good ones. I personally hit the 10th fret of E sharp and 12 fret of the B, this sounds good to me, then it goes into the 15th fret of the B and 14th of the G and so on, try it and see if it sounds good to you.

Also, and this is not a remark on your sample but an advice, the changes of pickup position make them stealing time to the previous part to finish rather than delaying the new part, it is less noticeable and less stressing as well
    I recorded another version (the audio only, I kept the same video) with all your comments and advices, I think it has improved quite a lot, I'll post it
    Thanks felobo, I appreciate the feedback. Now back to your cover version...

I just recorded an improved version, taking in account your remarks and also I listen more carefully the original song to learn some more details.
    I kept the same video and included the new audio, it was much easier this way.

The changes I did are:

For the intro: I use the bridge position instead of the quack (you won't see this on the video obviously)
    For the part before the chorus: I use the same patch now as the intro but at a lower volume, and also bridge position
    Chorus: I put the delays in parallel and not in series, and I changed the mix and repeats
    Solo: the first part is cleaner, and the second with less distortion

I like it quite a lot, but I'm sure that there are still a few things to improve here and there. Let me know what you think

Thanks

I had to listen to the recorded version again to compare (I've been focused on the live version). This new version sounds great! Love the sound of the opening chords now. The delay sounds a little different - a little smoother. Did you switch to parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by bzag View Post
    I had to listen to the recorded version again to compare (I've been focused on the live version). This new version sounds great! Love the sound of the opening chords now. The delay sounds a little different - a little smoother. Did you switch to parallel?
    Thanks Bzag!
    Yes I changed the delays to parallel, and changed the mix level for both, for some parts I increased it and for some others I decreased it.
    Palying the part before the chorus on the bridge position made a brighter and a little more distorted sound, so I took out the overdrive that I originally put for that part and it sounds more like the original.

When I make new presets (and I am no Edo by any means, I wish I were though) I do the best I can and then leave it for a while and come back after, usually one or more days, and tweak it a little more. There is a point where I get saturated and whatever change I make it is usually for worst. So, four this one, I’ll try again in a few days as there are a couple of things that need to be improved, specially for the solo riff, and the chorus. Also, getting your opinions helps a ton, that’s the advantage of this forum with so many different ears and experience in creating patches for U2 songs
    Cheers

Thanks Bzag!
    Yes I changed the delays to parallel, and changed the mix level for both, for some parts I increased it and for some others I decreased it.
    Palying the part before the chorus on the bridge position made a brighter and a little more distorted sound, so I took out the overdrive that I originally put for that part and it sounds more like the original.

When I make new presets (and I am no Edo by any means, I wish I were though) I do the best I can and then leave it for a while and come back after, usually one or more days, and tweak it a little more. There is a point where I get saturated and whatever change I make it is usually for worst. So, four this one, I’ll try again in a few days as there are a couple of things that need to be improved, specially for the solo riff, and the chorus. Also, getting your opinions helps a ton, that’s the advantage of this forum with so many different ears and experience in creating patches for U2 songs
    Cheers
    In the past i used a helix, actually i use a fx2 xl. I could suggest you some changes:

1) use bridge position
    2) for the verse 1/8 delay very very subtle (low in the mix with only one repeat)
    3) for chorus 1/8 delay by the same way in 1) + 1/8 delay at 28% feedback and 35% mix for starter point. I prefer in series.

There are a problem with helix and digital modulation delay, I suggest two chains, firs 1 chain with distorsion/overdrive and then split it in chain for digital delay1 (you can use a memory man emu) and then for the chorus 1/8 dotted tc2290 emu + chorus emu, its difficult wite. Finally split the two chain into a ac30 with blue alnico, you can add some type of reverb low in the mix. If yo split the signal in a parallel chain like i suggest you have to duplicate delay mix for this chain.

I think i have some patches save in my computer if you send me a email i try to send you if ypu want.

Try with it.
    Even better than the real thing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12