Thread: Standard (non Edge Signature) CS Fat 50s and Dimarzio FS-1 pickups phase question

Standard (non Edge Signature) CS Fat 50s and Dimarzio FS-1 pickups phase question

Hi!

I suppose I'm not the first I've though of buying a set of Fat 50s and a Dimarzio FS1 and make an Edge style pickup set for my strat. If anybody has made it, are there any problem of phase with them?

When I installed a Duncan SSL5 with a CS 69 in another guitar both were out of phase and in the between position there was a lot of level drop and I had to reverse the SSL5 wires (something that according to John Suhr isnt' an ideal solution) and I wonder if it's needed with the Fat 50s - FS1 combination and it the in between position remains hum free (due to the RW/RP of the Fat 50s middle pickup).

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    A friendly ‘pointing out’: Have You searched the forum in this? Please be aware that the output of Edge sig differ from standard replacement pu’s. Search this forum for more details and figures . Them decide if you still want to go the alternative route.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I've read about the difference but I actually prefer staggered pickups and don't mind about a hotter bridge pickup. Unfortunately nobody have said nothing about phase or wiring problems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josetxu View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've read about the difference but I actually prefer staggered pickups and don't mind about a hotter bridge pickup. Unfortunately nobody have said nothing about phase or wiring problems
    Ok, but i am not sure if anybody did try it out (yet).

I know (was it tony?) that a few tried hotter pu in bridge with for example ‘69 pu’s and that it didn’t work out as it didn’t sound right (so besides phasing/wiring). I also think that dallas said they lowered the fs1’s output. There was some info on u2sound but that site recently went down, so it’s not of any help.

Sorry i can’t help any further, have fun anyway in trying this out and let us know how it works out in the end? Few might be interested.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I got a stock FS1 in my Am.Series Strat. I like the sound of it and it's more than ok with stock pu's. No level drop.

Perhaps you can contact DiMarzio? They should know after all these years with the FS-1, and probably testing with Fat 50s versions. Anyone's guess if they answer. Maybe someone from the groups have already asked? I will look around
    Kjetil Gilje

Thanks for your answers. I haven't finally taken the plunge and bought a Lollar dirty blackface (blackface neck and middle pickup with an Special on bridge) set instead. Not an Edge pure set but a great set of Strat pickups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josetxu View Post
    Thanks for your answers. I haven't finally taken the plunge and bought a Lollar dirty blackface (blackface neck and middle pickup with an Special on bridge) set instead. Not an Edge pure set but a great set of Strat pickups.
    Lollars are a good choice. I have lollar blondes & lollar special (hot) in one of my strats and they sound great. Have fun with them!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I have a mixed set in one of my Strats - blackface in bridge and middle, with a blonde in the neck.

I like them, but I think I prefer my CS 69's.

Blog Entries
    I bought a RWRP Dimarzio FS1 to go with a Fat 50's middle pickup and a CS69 neck. I've got all the pickups, but not installed yet. I'm going to put them in my Squier VM 70. The stock pickups are fine, but I just want to try something different.

I did contact Dimarzio and they recommended that I go with the RWRP to give me noise cancellation with the RWRP fender middle pickup. As for your comment on Duncans, you're correct Fender and Duncan wind their pickups the opposite way so you always need to reverse the leads on the duncans to get them to play nicely with the fenders. I have another gilmour inspired guitar with a SL5 in the bridge and CS69 in the middle.