Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epiphone Explorer Upgrades

Epiphone Explorer Upgrades

I'm posting this message from the old forum for those interested. I upgraded my Epi Explorer with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and the other stuff below. I don't think I replaced the pots. I don't remember.

For those with Epiphone Explorers (I just purchased one - on its way), here is a recommend list of upgrades. I just got off the phone with www.allparts.com and found out their service is incredible. A gentleman named Michael knew exactly what I needed and only sold what I needed. Here were his specific recommendations:

GB-0528-002 GB-0528-002 - TonePros® T3BT-G Bridge 1 $70.00 $70.00
    TP-0457-002 TP-0457-002 - TonePros® SGM1-G Gold Metric 1 $40.00 $40.00
    EP-0066-002 EP-0066-002 - Gold Toggle Switch 1 $17.00 $17.00
    EP-0055-002 EP-0055-002 - Switchcraft #11 Gold 1/4" Input Jack 1 $4.60 $4.60

He said to keep the tail piece, but get the locking studs ($40 item above). The bridge and locking studs help give you much better sustain and tone. The switch on these guitars are horrible, so it's a must, along with the input jack. I was told the pots are probably ok or you can replace them later. I'll have my tech check them out.

He also said to replace the nut if it's plastic (to bone) and make sure the grooves fit your string gauge (nuts sometimes are made for .09s and need to be adjusted for .10s or higher).

Everything above is about $150 shipped.

I'm also replacing the pups with Seth Lovers (total about $210). I got the guitar for $410, new with hard case (which is an amaxing deal). So all the upgrades will be about $360, most of which I can do myself (I might have the neck Plek'd and set up but that's something I do for any guitar and I don't consider part of the price). So for $770, I'll have a great guitar. A new Gibson Explorer is $1400. I played both at the store and I don't think there will be much difference in tone with the upgrades to the Epi.
    U2GTAdministrator

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for sharing these Michael. Will defo be useful when I come to modding an Explorer sometime later in the year.
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

This is very useful! What do you think about the standard explorer? Does it sound like edge's with stock pups?

Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Standard explorers come with ceramic pickups... at least mine did when I got one many years ago...they sound great for Heavy Metal songs so I hear... it would be a good idea for you to change them with T-Tops or Seth Lovers like Michael did..

The standard explorer comes with 500t and 496R. What are the pups in Edge's guitar? I heard that they come with these ones.

Check out these vids of mine, I replaced those harsh pups with Duncan's 59 classics and I installed push pull pots so I could play all u2's tunes with my explorer.http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=l3yJmdgEpzY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Marques View Post
    The standard explorer comes with 500t and 496R. What are the pups in Edge's guitar? I heard that they come with these ones.
    Edge's Gibson Explorer has T-Tops assuming he did not change them.

Amazing! Would you do a thread with more details???

Thanks!!!

Blog Entries
    FWIW, my recently aquired 2001 Korean made Epi Explorer sounds very convincing on early era songs that use primarily tube drive and delay. My Epi LP Custom is also a 2001 model, and if I recall correctly, the stickers on the pups read something like "Gibson designed Alnico V". The LPC also sounds pretty good stock. Is there a way to find out for sure what pups Epi has used on past models? Were the Korean builds better than the current Chinese ones? I'm currently using the Explorer in standard tuning.(Out of Control, BDay, UltaV, IWF) The LPC stays half step down.(NYD, ElectriCo, Walk On)
    Current Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus, Epiphone Korina Explorer, Squier Vintage Modified 70's Strat, Harmony Strat, Pod HD 500, Tech 21 Liverpool, Mackie 1202 VLZ pro mixer, American Audio Vlp-300 stereo power amp, Stageworks 3 way speakers, Avatar 412 cab, Herdims, Monoprice cables.

Blog Entries
    Michael, the Epi Explorer that you bought... can you recall if it was a Korean model? I've heard the Korean made models are better quality and wondering if you replaced all the above parts on that or maybe because it was a model made in Japan (supposedly not as good quality as the Korean).
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast