Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Epiphone Explorer Upgrades

.. just a question: if Edge's explorer is a mohagany gibson, epi goth 58 (mohagany wood) should be better than a korina (korina wood), whith the correct upgrade obviously! don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Segovic View Post
    .. just a question: if Edge's explorer is a mohagany gibson, epi goth 58 (mohagany wood) should be better than a korina (korina wood), whith the correct upgrade obviously! don't you think?
    It might sound better? I have never compared them, I've never even tried a Gibson Explorer. But I will agree that it is a fair question when it comes to the sound. But most Edgefanatics go for the look more than the exact sound, so I haven't seen any discussion on the black Explorers. Maybe if you can find a Chinese Explorer second hand? Taken from post #12 in this thread, from Marcelo:

"I've done lots of research for this guitar and i can tell that there are 2 different models, the Chinese and Korean.
    Differences are:
    Chinese - Mahogany body and Neck in natural color ( Just like the edge's guitar )
    Korean - Alder body with a thin cover of Korina and maple neck.... ( Very odd guitar and it's more gold than edge's guitar )"
    Kjetil Gilje

From what I've heard, korina is actually a type of mahogany, and is tonally quite similar. If anything, it may be slightly brighter. But really I'd say the tone will be similar enough that you should go with what looks best.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...na-vs-Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewannabe View Post
    It might sound better? I have never compared them, I've never even tried a Gibson Explorer. But I will agree that it is a fair question when it comes to the sound. But most Edgefanatics go for the look more than the exact sound, so I haven't seen any discussion on the black Explorers. Maybe if you can find a Chinese Explorer second hand? Taken from post #12 in this thread, from Marcelo:

"I've done lots of research for this guitar and i can tell that there are 2 different models, the Chinese and Korean.
    Differences are:
    Chinese - Mahogany body and Neck in natural color ( Just like the edge's guitar )
    Korean - Alder body with a thin cover of Korina and maple neck.... ( Very odd guitar and it's more gold than edge's guitar )"
    I have done a lots of research too, and I have found some informations which doesn t agree with Marcelo. Epiphone logo isn't always at the same position for example. Logo position often changes, and it doesn t depends from location. I think I'll buy a mahogany kit and I'll personalize it. I'm finding is sound first of all, I don't care about look. But...seth lovers pickup are the only ones suggests? any other pickups? More cheaper?

I agree, Segovic. It seems there is confusion out there, and I'm not certain the info about the alder body with korina veneer is correct. I sense that I don't care enough to dig for evidence

I would look for any type of OK brand PAF-style low to medium output alnico humbuckers. Burstbucker, 57 classics, Lindy Fralin PAF, Seth Lover, Manlius, Lollars or cheaper GFS (guitarfetish). perhaps Tonerider also?.

I had Lindy Fralin PAFs in mine, and briefly tested Seth Lover bridge before that. I think I would be perfectly happy with Burstbuckers or 57 Classics in mine, if I had an Epi Explorer
    Kjetil Gilje

I have irongear blues engines in my Explorer and they sound pretty sweet. Especialy considering the price!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J500FN met Tapatalk

So if you would buy a Epiphone explorer and upgrate them with new pickups (seth lovers), whitch one to buy (and why):

1 Epiphone ltd.ed.Korina http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Des...-Explorer.aspx
    2 Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Des...-Explorer.aspx

Most votes counts.. ;-)

Blog Entries
    My vote is the limited edition. Darker wood. Looks better , more like the real deal. But that's taste.

You could also use 4 conductor Seth lovers, and add some electronics (like Jimmy page kit from RS works) which allows some extra pickup selections.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I vote for the 1958 version. I'd bet the colour of the wood is the same between the two and the pickguard and knobs look better on the 58. That said it's a discontinued model so it's going to be harder to find.

I upgraded mine with epiphone probucker pickups that can be found for a good deal on eBay. Big improvement over stock however I don't have the Seth lovers to compare against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer32 View Post
    I have irongear blues engines in my Explorer and they sound pretty sweet. Especialy considering the price!
    I have them too in my Epi Explorer and they sounds really great. I've made a lot of gigs without any thought about buy other "better" pickups.
    All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast