Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pride- delay question

Pride- delay question

Hello world!

I've been trying to get this tone. If you guys listen at .01 (soundcheck), it sounds like there are 2 delays but not sure if it's parallels or maybe slapback? I tried the parallels but it didn't sound right. I'm not sure if It will only work on a stereo rig setting. Point is, I can't get the "tada-tada-tada" that you hear in that clip. I have compared this clip with Michael's tutorial which only sounds "tada-da-da-da"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7J81EvDTE

Help always appreciated! See you in Chicago on Monday!

Well in the comments to that video 7 years ago Mick answers someone's question and says:

"That was a Boss DD20 and it was set to modulated delay around 420ms
    mick"

Listen at the end of the video. I hear just one repeat.

I think what may have happened at the beginning is he hits a quick muted strum up/down, so you are hearing the repeat of his quick double strum, not two delays.

Edge has used two delays before for this song, but not spaced out enough to give the double bump you hear here.

On the Vertigo tour, this is an accurate siting from up close of Edge's 2290s and SDD3000:

SDD3000 #1: 450ms
    2290 #1: 420ms
    2290 #3: for the solo part only: 437ms.
    SDD #1 and 2290 #1 were used during the entire song.

The 420 + 450 will "thicken the delay" but it is not discernible as two separate delays by the human ear. Try it and you will see it's about the same.

So my theory is Mick used only one delay here (as confirmed by his comment) and he hit the strings with a quick double muted strum (in other words, he double strummed faster than the space between the 420ms delay).
    U2GTAdministrator

Well in the comments to that video 7 years ago Mick answers someone's question and says:

"That was a Boss DD20 and it was set to modulated delay around 420ms
    mick"

Listen at the end of the video. I hear just one repeat.

I think what may have happened at the beginning is he hits a quick muted strum up/down, so you are hearing the repeat of his quick double strum, not two delays.

Edge has used two delays before for this song, but not spaced out enough to give the double bump you hear here.

On the Vertigo tour, this is an accurate siting from up close of Edge's 2290s and SDD3000:

SDD3000 #1: 450ms
    2290 #1: 420ms
    2290 #3: for the solo part only: 437ms.
    SDD #1 and 2290 #1 were used during the entire song.

The 420 + 450 will "thicken the delay" but it is not discernible as two separate delays by the human ear. Try it and you will see it's about the same.

So my theory is Mick used only one delay here (as confirmed by his comment) and he hit the strings with a quick double muted strum (in other words, he double strummed faster than the space between the 420ms delay).

I just downloaded the video, extracted the audio and then slowed it down. The first two muted strummed notes are "tada" so he played these at the beginning, and then they get repeated. So he played "tada" and then you hear that repeated. Right after that, when you listen to the harmonics slowed down, you hear only one strike of the harmonic and one repeat each. At the end, I slowed it down and it's definitely only one repeat.

Mick usually keeps things simple, especially for a clip like this. His comments say it was just guitar to DD20 to amp. DD20 does not have two delays!

Great questions above. It helps so people understand that you can get a double bounce with your playing also.
    U2GTAdministrator

Thanks Mike for the explanation. It totally makes sense.

Hope life is well on your end. Regards!

Quote Originally Posted by bittersuit98 View Post
    Thanks Mike for the explanation. It totally makes sense.

Hope life is well on your end. Regards!
    My pleasure. All well here, except for slightly torn tendons on each side of bottom left middle finger. Likely will need surgery to heal completely.
    U2GTAdministrator

Well I still think that pride is done with 2 delays in series. I understand that on vertigo tour he might use only one and thicken the sound with the second. In the other way, I always try to sound close to the album version (2 exceptions are bad and a sort of homecoming.) Many songs work best for me with dual delay.
    Thanks for taking the time to slow it down ! We need that kind of guy on that forum. ( I think that you (Michael) are the best to find tone, adjust delays and no one get as close as you do !)
    It's only that it works best for me in dual.

Listen to this one. Mick is using 2 delays
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SFpYLQtmA

Pretty close to this one. Listen carefully at the beginning...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aa2m1t9y-M

Quote Originally Posted by firepat View Post
    Listen to this one. Mick is using 2 delays
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SFpYLQtmA
    Yes, but that's not what Edge does live. The two delays are very close together. You pretty much can't hear the difference between 420 and 450ms. Mick refers to "studio" in this video. Many sightings and live clips out there that are clear it's not two delays like this. Go back to the 80s (Paris) etc. The songs is generally just a dotted 8th note delay. But of course if you like it with another delay, go for it.
    U2GTAdministrator

Quote Originally Posted by firepat View Post
    Pretty close to this one. Listen carefully at the beginning...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aa2m1t9y-M
    The beginning is just muted strumming. I don't see how anyone could say this is proof of two strong delays. His muting strumming sounds like that all the time.
    U2GTAdministrator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast