Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wonderful performance of Bad in Rome during JT2017 tour

Best tone from Edge on Bad since Wide Awake in America. This does have a little more sharpness that I like. But also has the full midrange and amazing break-up crunch. Best tone he's had in a long time. Amps set up just right.
    U2GTAdministrator

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    has the full midrange and amazing break-up crunch. Best tone he's had in a long time.
    Oh Yes. Gorgious tone Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Amps set up just right.
    At the moment, the question I can't keep out of my mind is... which amps are used ? How does our little genius uses his amps ?
    2 vox + 1 Fender ? Only 2 Vox ? Or just 1 amp according to the preset in a song ?
    Only god... (and Dallas) knows !
    Last edited by ZOLAIVE; 09-28-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOLAIVE View Post
    Oh Yes. Gorgious tone Michael

At the moment, the question I can't keep out of my mind is... which amps are used ? How does our little genius uses his amps ? 2 vox + 1 Fender ? Only 2 Vox ? Or just 1 amp according to the preset in a song ?
    Only god... (and Dallas) knows !
    Anyone have details on when he began using the Fender Tweed? I think he only was using Vox in early 80s, no? If so, that would provide a clue. What was going on the first tour when he used a Tweed?
    Last edited by JCU2; 09-28-2017 at 02:11 PM.

This review provides some obvious clues....

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/fen...deluxe-review/

Quote Originally Posted by JCU2 View Post
    This review provides some obvious clues....

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/fen...deluxe-review/
    Hi, I read the article and what I understood is that Edge made some kind of mix of the AC30 and the old Tweed Deluxe with his Edge signatureTweed Deluxe.

I found more infos...

In this article (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...evealed-223342), Dallas tells which amps were used during the U2 360° Tour (2009-2010-2011).
    Dallas says that the main amp Edge uses ("the basis for The Edge's sound") is a VOX AC30 from '64 that is "totally one-of-a-kind, a real Frankenstein" with Marshall capacitors, Fender capacitors and resistors. He also had 2 Fender Tweed Deluxe (a '58 Fender Deluxe with a Vox speaker and a '57 Deluxe with a Jensen speaker) and a mid-'50s Fender Harvard with a VOX speaker.

In a 1987 Guitar World article (http://www.guitarworld.com/u2s-edge-...orld-interview), Edge says
    "What I have is my vintage Vox AC30, which is my favorite amp. (...) I've used it pretty exclusively for what, four major world tours. I've been getting into transistor amps, as well, like the Roland JC 120, which is a great amplifier. And I've also acquired an old Fender Pro Reverb combo. It's real delicate. What I've been finding is that the old Fenders have this beautifully mellow distortion to them, the tubes have been worked just so, they're nice and clear."

In that video (U2 Bad - Unforgettable Fire Dortmund in 1984-11-21), he already had the nice crunchy tone we like :

Did he use Fender amp then ? I don't think so (When we look at the commercial video with Edge speaking about his Edge signature amp, he says that he discovered the old Fender late)...but maybe he already used his Frankenstein '64 AC30 which seems to have some Fender electronics in it...

So what can we conclude ?
    That his core tone comes from an old AC30 TB tweaked by Dallas and which has a specific color (with Fender capacitors and resistors)... Already some kind of VOX/FENDER mix like in his Edge signature Tweed Deluxe ?

I don't know...

What your opinion ?
    Last edited by ZOLAIVE; 09-28-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Not sure about 2017 JTT but on the The Innocence + Experience Tour 'Bad' was this below

BAD
    effects-SDD3K
    Verse-SDD3K + VOX 1
    Solo- 2290+FR SHIM+FEN 1+SD-1#2
    Amp-VOX 1

Last edited by Bruce365ms; 11-29-2017 at 06:15 PM.

How can you get all these infos from a picture ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12