Thread: Mofo sustain

Mofo sustain

Trying to play MOFO on my les paul how edge played it live, got a great tone so far but I’m having trouble with getting the note to sustain, I’m using an HD500x, is there an effect I could use to get a longer sustained note without effecting the tone too much?

Good article which may be helpful:

http://www.cycfi.com/2013/11/sustain-myth-science/

Wow, wasn’t expecting that! Thanks man, back to the drawing board for now

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Wow, wasn’t expecting that! Thanks man, back to the drawing board for now
    It can be a lot of things....

Most people think LP's sustain better simply because of the higher output humbuckers, but bolt on necks actually have more pressure joining the neck to the body than glue.

Chambered Les Pauls have better sustain than non-chambered, especially when playing with a cranked amp. But they sound quite different - more warm and "round".

Which brings me to my next question - are you playing through a loud amp? That's a really big part of sustain. The amp's volume keeps the strings vibrating, giving sustain and feedback.

A compressor will also do wonders for sustain.

Found something that actually really helped with the sustain, added a compressor and cranked the volume up on the AC30, and also put a Fender Fatfinger on my headstock, completely changed the sustain of the guitar. Thanks!