Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U2 on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon

Quote Originally Posted by JCU2 View Post
    Holy sh*t! That's the best version of Bullet the Blue Sky I've seen these guys do in a while.... Bono was really feeling it. Wow. They were on fire.
    Agreed. That is simply a fantastic version of the song.

One other thing I noticed about Edge during their performance. I still find myself amazed about how much guitar gymnastics he does during some songs. Between the patch changes with his feet, using his expression pedal, use of guitar volume for certain effects, his smooth slide ability, and switching between bridge and neck pickups at certain points, there's a lot to unpack when dissecting this version.

There are others that bash the Edge for 'simplicity' in his playing when, in reality, some of these 'simple' songs are much, much more complex than they appear. And Edge makes it look so easy.

---
    David

What I like about the new song is it's simple. Generally just the four of them. Not one of their best hooks, but not bad.
    U2GTAdministrator

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer32 View Post
    I am struggling with the "police sirene" sound that Edge makes in the solo of Bullet.
    Would love to play the solo like this!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J500FN met Tapatalk
    You can kinda see Edge doing it here... he is using a slide very high on the neck. It looks like he is alternating strings with a slide higher than the frets... so somewhere over the pickups...

You can kinda see Edge doing it here... he is using a slide very high on the neck. It looks like he is alternating strings with a slide higher than the frets... so somewhere over the pickups...

Yeah its visible in the jimmy fallon video too but cant get it to sind right..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J500FN met Tapatalk

Oh sorry... how is it sounding off? You need a lot of gain and some good compression when you play slide...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
    +1.
    absolutely fantastic version with bono very eloquently using his prime audience attention. i doubt, that the classic fallon/colbert/obrien audience is the correct target group for that, but what do i know.
    I think anyone watching an artist perform a great song with passion will be touched by it in some manner. I always thought audiences didn't need to be particularly receptive to a type of music specifically because my experience is that a great song with a truthful performance...where the artist is being honest in their performance... is always able to breakthrough to people's hearts and minds. I think the audience reception to the performance and the band speaks to that.

I think anyone watching an artist perform a great song with passion will be touched by it in some manner. I always thought audiences didn't need to be particularly receptive to a type of music specifically because my experience is that a great song with a truthful performance...where the artist is being honest in their performance... is always able to breakthrough to people's hearts and minds. I think the audience reception to the performance and the band speaks to that.
    you are absolutely right and i fully agree. I meant, that bonos political criticism would have been more useful to a FOX audience.

Lol... agreed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12