Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Pick My Next Guitar

One could buy an Agile and supe it up and for roughly 1200$ all in.... you would have a super guitar. New pups. Stainless steel frets. Some onboard EQ wiring. Pups....These appear to be real good for the money.

Problem with Gibson Les Paul's is when you find a great one... they are heavenly. But ya gotta find that special one. There have been a lot of well documented quality issues with GLPs. At least with Agiles, it appears with such a low entry cost, you can still upgrade them and come out with a great guitar for less than a standard GLP. Something to consider for sure. The issue won't be the sound, they sound great from what I can determine but playability. And that can be fixed,or adjusted. A lot of the cost of the GLP are the brand itself. I am impressed with what I have seen so far. Something to consider if you can't find that special GLP or have to consider the costs like most mortals.

I've owned a few Agile's. They're decent guitars especially for the money, but they usually need work. Fret work, and new pickups.

Gibsons are more expensive, but IMO they're worth it. The quality control issues you hear about are long past. They've been at the top of their game for well over a decade on everything in both shops.

Of course YMMV. All my LP's are Gibsons.

I'm reading things that suggest the quality issues are not decades old.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...eyre_crap.html

A few common problems with them listed here. Also a good history of the guitar...

https://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/Modern-Les-Paul

Just to be clear... I am not bashing Gibson. The Les Paul is a legendary guitar for a reason. I am just suggesting players have to really hunt for good ones. And I suspect there are a lot more good ones, percentage wise, from the older production runs pre 80s. Of course, any good, experienced player would avoid a GLP with quality issues when on the hunt. At the end of the day, all that matters is how it sounds to your ears and how much you enjoy playing it. GIBSON is a legendary brand for a reason. The question is: has anything changed to devalue it?

Another consideration: are we hearing more about Gibson quality issues nowadays because of the internet or are there really more quality issues?

Either way, Agile seems like a good guitar to check out if you don't have the cash for a Gibson LP. And any student of the Edge should keep an open mind to anything new. After all, it's all about the tone and being original. Taking risks and experimenting is a favoured trait in Edgeland.
    Last edited by JCU2; 06-30-2017 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Grammar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12