Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: U2 Joshua Tree Tour Edge Guitar amps on Stage

Blog Entries
    Once in a while the timing is perfect...couldn't have planned this one any better!

Was at that show too --- pretty wild. Here are a couple other views of the band/show...

https://youtu.be/VFqgVn75cro

https://youtu.be/AnWEAXSq-bc

Omg! Did they plan that? That is truly spectacular.

That's awesome! Great timing.

just came back from a w/e trip to rome, here is my concert recap:

simply put, the concert was pure magic for me. it was mindblowingly awesome, easily in the top 3 shows, i've ever seen. the boys were on fire, bonos voice was outstanding and the overall sound in the stadium was just superb. apparently they got rid of the interns who did the sound engineering the last tour, because here, everything was as it should be.
    edges tone was out-of-this-world. so crystal clear, just fantastic. so to everyone, who was sceptical of all the axe's in edges rig: they sound absolutely awesome.
    streets was HANDS DOWN the absolute best performance, i've ever seen of that song. the tone was so superb, i just couldnt take it anymore. cried like a little baby. and it felt goooooooood.

just some random thoughts:
    loved the setlist. only weaker points for me was red hill town (edge on piano, no guitar but tons of BT horns), and miss sarajevo (the rotary destroys the song for me) - although it was a magic moment, when pavarotti was singing italian to 80000 italians. they played elevation and vertigo at the end - crowd was going nuts.
    overall, the atmosphere in the stadium was unbelievable. since we've read other experiences here as well, i cannot relate to that. the audience was hot as hell. one huge life-is-good-festival.
    UV was just out of this world. just to much to handle for my soul. cried again like a baby. that guitar sound... even now, while writing this and i think about it, i have goosebumps.
    there were some issues with the e-bow patch of wowy and the fuzz-patch of elevation. back to fractal for those two. all the other tones were absolutely fantastic. the bouncy delays, the crystal clear chime..... ahhhh pure edge nerd heaven.
    almost met my friend and U2GT-bro stephane, but italian cell phone reception and real-life touristy stuff came in the way.

overall.... what an experience.... life is good.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 07-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

simply put, the concert was pure magic for me. it was mindblowingly awesome, easily in the top 3 shows, i've ever seen. the boys were on fire, bonos voice was outstanding and the overall sound in the stadium was just superb. apparently they got rid of the interns who did the sound engineering the last tour, because here, everything was as it should be.
    edges tone was out-of-this-world. so crystal clear, just fantastic. so to everyone, who was sceptical of all the axe's in edges rig: they sound absolutely awesome.
    streets was HANDS DOWN the absolute best performance, i've ever seen of that song. the tone was so superb, i just couldnt take it anymore. cried like a little baby. and it felt goooooooood.

loved the setlist. only weaker points for me was red hill town (edge on piano, no guitar but tons of BT horns), and miss sarajevo (the rotary destroys the song for me) - although it was a magic moment, when pavarotti was singing italian to 80000 italians. they played elevation and vertigo at the end - crowd was going nuts.
    overall, the atmosphere in the stadium was unbelievable. since we've read other experiences here as well, i cannot relate to that. the audience was hot as hell. one huge life-is-good-festival.
    UV was just out of this world. just to much to handle for my soul. cried again like a baby. that guitar sound... even now, while writing this and i think about it, i have goosebumps.
    there were some issues with the e-bow patch of wowy and the fuzz-patch of elevation. back to fractal for those two. all the other tones were absolutely fantastic. the bouncy delays, the crystal clear chime..... ahhhh pure edge nerd heaven.
    almost met my friend and U2GT-bro stephane, but italian cell phone reception and real-life touristy stuff came in the way.

Joe, one question: were you on the pitch yesterday?

I was there as well and on the stands there was an awful echo that made Edge's guitar sound totally jumbled. But, apart from that, I agree with your review. Great night, band in fantastic shape, fantastic crowd.

we had seats on adams side, and I didnt experience any bad echo, apart from the usual stuff in a stadium. But that didnt disturb anything. But I did hear some weird echo in some of the Youtube videos. Didnt hear that live whatsoever. I was surprised, how high up we were sitting, considering I bought some of the most expensive tickets available. (maybe I didnt check thouroughly enough)

some more random thoughts:
    For the first time ever in my 30year+ U2 history (I think?), I heard Bono singing the <ahhh, and maybe the time is right.... oooouuuuuu maybe tonight> part in NYD live. Thats my favorite part of that song and he always left that out during the last tours.
    One of my favorite moments was larry during elevation:
    https://youtu.be/z9yoOTEXWC8?t=1m55s
    mimicking italian to 80000 italians. crowd went crazy.
    The opening act, noel gallaghers band was really good. audience liked it as well. although tbh, they only really went wild during the oasis songs.
    The beer at the stadium (and in rest of rome) was ridiculously overpriced and was really lousy dishwater. I will never understand, how the country with the best food in the world and the best wine in the world can produce such a sh*tty beer. (and charge so much for it)
    I was surprised, how good trip trough your wires was. not my most favorite song, but live, it was really cool. larry was amazing on that one.
    Mothers of the disappeared was amazing as well. didnt expect that.
    I was sceptical about SBS as the opener. I was wrong. worked very well. Especially that during the first couple of songs, there was absolutly nothing else going on on the stage. No lights, no video wall, just the 4 guys doing their thing. that was really great.
    the crowd was fantastic. there was a bar about 10min outside the stadium, where we had a couple of beers before the show to warm up. obviously they played u2 videos very loud. it was really like a family get together. everybody was singing along, hugging strangers, dancing and singing. I had the same feeling during the whole concert. the tribe coming together. awesome.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 07-18-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Joe, thank you to share this!

Never went to U2 show and probably can't do it in the future, too far away (and costly) for me. I can only imagine from you guys who joined the show, from YouTube, and DVD movies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhawk View Post
    Joe, one question: were you on the pitch yesterday?

I was there as well and on the stands there was an awful echo that made Edge's guitar sound totally jumbled. But, apart from that, I agree with your review. Great night, band in fantastic shape, fantastic crowd.
    I think this is part of the stadium "experience". I was at Twickenham on Saturday with friends on the pitch and we noticed quite a difference in sound depending on where we stood (Ultraviolet sounded a little out of tune, for example). One of my friends was also in the VIP area on Sunday night, which is by the mixing desk, and said that it sounded much, much better. So the lesson is probably to stand somewhere in the middle :-)

we had seats on adams side, and I didnt experience any bad echo, apart from the usual stuff in a stadium. But that didnt disturb anything. But I did hear some weird echo in some of the Youtube videos. Didnt hear that live whatsoever. I was surprised, how high up we were sitting, considering I bought some of the most expensive tickets available. (maybe I didnt check thouroughly enough)

some more random thoughts:
    For the first time ever in my 30year+ U2 history (I think?), I heard Bono singing the <ahhh, and maybe the time is right.... oooouuuuuu maybe tonight> part in NYD live. Thats my favorite part of that song and he always left that out during the last tours.
    One of my favorite moments was larry during elevation:
    https://youtu.be/z9yoOTEXWC8?t=1m55s
    mimicking italian to 80000 italians. crowd went crazy.
    The opening act, noel gallaghers band was really good. audience liked it as well. although tbh, they only really went wild during the oasis songs.
    The beer at the stadium (and in rest of rome) was ridiculously overpriced and was really lousy dishwater. I will never understand, how the country with the best food in the world and the best wine in the world can produce such a sh*tty beer. (and charge so much for it)
    I was surprised, how good trip trough your wires was. not my most favorite song, but live, it was really cool. larry was amazing on that one.
    Mothers of the disappeared was amazing as well. didnt expect that.
    I was sceptical about SBS as the opener. I was wrong. worked very well. Especially that during the first couple of songs, there was absolutly nothing else going on on the stage. No lights, no video wall, just the 4 guys doing their thing. that was really great.
    the crowd was fantastic. there was a bar about 10min outside the stadium, where we had a couple of beers before the show to warm up. obviously they played u2 videos very loud. it was really like a family get together. everybody was singing along, hugging strangers, dancing and singing. I had the same feeling during the whole concert. the tribe coming together. awesome.
    You were sitting in the most expensive seats for football matches, so that's probably why they were so expensive. I agree with basically everything you say, and I would like to stress one thing I noticed: Noel Gallagher is a hell of a songwriter. His style is totally opposite to Edge's, but man, he's great.

My favorite moment was probably the beginning of Vertigo: the crowd really went bananas (at least, I did :-D ), and Sunday Bloody Sunday was a hell of an opener.

And as far as beer is concerned, next time you come to Rome, I'll be happy to suggest a couple of places that will make you change your mind!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast