Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTEOTW Goldtop

Blog Entries

UTEOTW Goldtop

What can anyone tell me about Edge's Goldtop? I've read different things about it. Supposedly it's a 1982, 30th anniversary standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Toopy14 View Post
    Supposedly it's a 1982, 30th anniversary standard?
    That's what I've always read. The last production run in the Kalamazoo factory, so it has an ABR-1 bridge. Tim Shaw PAF pickups, unless the ones in Edge's have been switched. Other than that it's an LP Standard in every way. If I had $5,000 to blow on a Gibson I'd much rather have this than a new production one: https://reverb.com/ca/item/4612340-1...dard-1952-1957

Blog Entries
    The bridge is definitely not a modern bridge, so the ABR makes sense. It looks like he's changed the tuning pegs as well.

The thing I hate about the new ones, is that they're all weight-relieved or chambered! They also have circuit boards in them now. Some even have asymmetric necks. I don't know why Gibson thinks they have to mess with what works.
    Last edited by Toopy14; 04-06-2017 at 12:09 AM.

For the money, you are so much better off getting a used '57 Reissue.

IF... you can hack the larger neck. I personally love the larger necks, but some people don't. Of course you could have a luthier re-shape the neck and slim it down. Would cost a few hundred.

But the '57's are 1-piece backs, no weight relief, higher quality woods, better construction, thinner binding, etc. I've owned I think 7 of them and they were all fantastic.

Just superior guitars in every way, except possibly the pickups. Shaw's are great sounding pickups.

For the ultimate, maybe go with a '57 and slap some early 80's Shaw's in it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drumu2 View Post
    For the money, you are so much better off getting a used '57 Reissue.

Great information!

Are you at all familiar with the Traditional Goldtops? If so, what do you think of them. They have the bigger neck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toopy14 View Post
    Great information!

Are you at all familiar with the Traditional Goldtops? If so, what do you think of them. They have the bigger neck.

Thanks
    They're great, although they do come with both slim and fat necks. Some of them are not weight relieved as well.

The main improvements the Historic line gets you is the correct ABR bridge that utilizes 6-32 posts directly into wood, lighter and better quality wood, 50's correct binding, generally better construction, and a few other tweaks.

The Trad's are probably the best bang for the buck you'll find. Great guitars.

Goldtop Trad's usually go for 1200-1600, while '57's go for 2000-3000 depending on year. The earlier 2000's are on the cheaper end, while the newest 2014 specs are closer to 3000. They utilize hot-hide glue, correct analine dye, and better pickups. For a gigging guitar, I think the earlier 2000's ones are great, if you can find one with a slightly smaller neck. Some of them were a bit too large - about .95-.98" at the 1st fret.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drumu2 View Post
    They're great, although they do come with both slim and fat necks. Some of them are not weight relieved as well.
    The 57's are nice, but unfortunately, $3,000 U.S. translates to $4,000+ CDN., that's before shipping, duty and import taxes, which would bring the price close to $5,000.

I've been looking at a 2010 Traditional. Haven't had a chance to see it first hand yet though. It has a Classic 57+ in the bridge and a Classic 57 in the neck. It's in really good condition and I can get it for under $2,000. It's weight relieved, but not chambered. It's also been Plek'd! I had to Google that one! lol

It has Kluson tuners though, which from what I've read, can be problematic. I've seen lots of of videos on Youtube of people swapping them for Grovers. I know some Goldtop's came with Grovers. Edge's Goldtop has Grovers, but I'm not sure if it came that way or if he swapped them. Most 30th anniversary Goltops I've seen have Kluson's.

Thoughts? You are obviously well versed on Goldtops!
    Last edited by Toopy14; 04-06-2017 at 02:25 AM.

For your circumstance I'd say that Traditional is an excellent option. They are great guitars, and the differences between them and a Historic Reissue aren't huge.

Klusons are a little more finnicky than Grovers, but if you tune and string correctly they are fine to gig with. Stretch your strings thoroughly and condition the nut so the strings don't bind up and you should be fine.

Blog Entries
    Appreciate the information!!

Thanks

Interesting discussion. I have never tried a Goldtop myself, but I have an 2003 Standard and 2011 Traditional Standard.
    Kjetil Gilje

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast