Thread: Axe and Monitor?

Question Axe and Monitor?

This is to Axe users in a "band and play live" context:

Do I need to consider buying full range cabs with a corresponding amp (the European FAS distributor G66 recommends matrix amps and cabs) or is it sufficient to go FOH direct from the axe, maybe with a stage monitor? Do you suggest using a guitar amp together with the direct FOH setup or is direct good enough?

Whatever works for you seems to be the cliché that works best. I don't have the money to fork down for a matrix poweramp and full range cabs, so in rehearsal I use a Marshall 8008 poweramp into a pair of Marshall cabs (not mine). On stage I plan to go straight into the FOH and rely on my in-ears to hear what I'm playing. I couldn't care less about wanting to feel my amp, or amp in the room feel. Even when I was still using normal amps I put them away as far away from me as possible. I don't want to be tied to a fixed spot on stage, I want to move around and in-ear gives me that freedom. At best I might plug in a cab from the venue to play around with feedback on stage.

Because going with cabsims into the Marshall poweramp and cabs sounds like **** I maintain a separate set of presets without cabsims then from my main live presets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by macky7tyseven View Post
    This is to Axe users in a "band and play live" context:

Do I need to consider buying full range cabs with a corresponding amp (the European FAS distributor G66 recommends matrix amps and cabs) or is it sufficient to go FOH direct from the axe, maybe with a stage monitor? Do you suggest using a guitar amp together with the direct FOH setup or is direct good enough?
    I would say it depends on how good your PA is. If you have something that isn't good quality then it might make a noticeable difference! I use our PA predominantly with AC30 on stage as well. The AC30 has a london power scaling feature so is on at a suitable level for the venue, but mainly the audience is listening to the audio from the PA. I find I cannot tell whether the amp is on or off sometimes.

Relying on venue-provided sound guys will get you very inconsistent results. I've had fantastic pros and also people who showed up late and didn't want to do even a basic sound check. I'd rent a good monitor for the night from a music store for a few bucks if I had nothing else. Otherwise the sound guy doesn't even know what it's supposed to sound like. If you've got your own powered speaker, at least you can control what the people near the stage hear.

Also, no actual speaker onstage means you may have difficulty generating feedback for Bullet, if it's in your set.

I guess I'll start with the one monitor we have for the band and take it from there.

I'll also try playing my AC30 and FOH simultaneously - but then writing a separate patch for each song for FOH seems to be a bit of a hazzle - especially if I need to change my presets - what I constantly do.

Do you sometimes use amp sims even if you play with an actual amp? I do! And I think I get some good sounds from that.

Quote Originally Posted by macky7tyseven View Post
    I guess I'll start with the one monitor we have for the band and take it from there.

I'll also try playing my AC30 and FOH simultaneously - but then writing a separate patch for each song for FOH seems to be a bit of a hazzle - especially if I need to change my presets - what I constantly do.
    You can tap off the signal in the Axe before the amp block and send that to OUT 2, so you've got an FX-only signal to put into the front of your AC30 and a full Axe-FX signal to send to FOH. But if you like the sound of two AC30s in series, then no need I guess!

Also: use the global blocks in the Axe to save your AC30 and cab settings so that you don't have to dial them in fresh on every preset. If you tweak the settings on one preset and save them to that global block, the Axe should them update them on every preset that uses that global block.

Just buy a decent powered monitor. I use a yamaha dxr 10. Great monitor, plenty of volume and low end for guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    Just buy a decent powered monitor. I use a yamaha dxr 10. Great monitor, plenty of volume and low end for guitar.
    ^^This - run your Axe into the DXR10 and then run a XLR from the DXR to FOH. Then you can control your own sound and let the sound guy deal with the FOH.

In my gigs, I use my AXE (effects blocks, amp block and cab block) plugged in an EHX 44 Magnum that drives a 1x12" cab loaded with a good PA neodymium speaker.
    Than, the cab is miked like was a "normal" amp.

Below our promo video with the result... consider that all the sound comes from smartphone. Nothing professional.

Schermata 2016-12-18 alle 17.49.17.jpg

All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us.