Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sell everything?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drumu2 View Post
    I've thought about doing the same thing. I'm an odd man out that's still tap-dancing with a regular pedalboard as I contemplate investing in a rack setup, and how large I want it to be.

Here is my only conundrum:

I've noticed since Edge has introduced more AxeFX and less analog pedals that his tone has suffered. That's my opinion. But since the 360 Tour I think his tone is noticeably worse than from previous tours, especially PopMart and Elevation.

Of course it might just be the mix, or my own ears. But I enjoy his tone much less now than in previous tours.
    I am not sure if you should only mention axe fx here. People like edo, mick, michael and so on get brilliant sounds out of it, most of them which you and i can't tell the difference with edge himself. Also mention changing his amps for 'new' ac30's.

http://www.mixonline.com/news/tours/...ur-2015/424970

So i think there's more to this. I know the old feelings of analog pedals vs multi fx, but i wonder how it would survive in a blind test (as michael suggestion a couple of times).

People tend to think politicians used to be 'more' nobel back in the days compared to nowadays.. i don't believe it.

Imho ofcourse.

Be prepared to spend some time getting it all sorted out but when you do it will be worth it. I would take some IR's of your Amps if you do decide to sell them and model your pedals before they go as well. I think you will be happier but I would keep at least one of the favored Amps, you may regret selling it....

Vic

Decent Old ac30s are getting harder to find. I'd keep them and get an axe. Keep the korg as welll. The drives in fractal are not convincing to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I am not sure if you should only mention axe fx here. People like edo, mick, michael and so on get brilliant sounds out of it, most of them which you and i can't tell the difference with edge himself. Also mention changing his amps for 'new' ac30's.

http://www.mixonline.com/news/tours/...ur-2015/424970

So i think there's more to this. I know the old feelings of analog pedals vs multi fx, but i wonder how it would survive in a blind test (as michael suggestion a couple of times).

People tend to think politicians used to be 'more' nobel back in the days compared to nowadays.. i don't believe it.

Imho ofcourse.
    No doubt there are great sounds you can get out of the unit.

I'm sure there are a whole slew of factors. It might have more to do with the sound engineers working on the tour. But IMO there is no doubt his tone has been more sterile, compressed, and less vibrant the past couple tours.

I just think sometimes simplicity is the way to go. A good overdrive, boost, and delay into a cranked amp is hard to beat. Edge's tones during War were absolutely epic, and he was using like 4-5 pedals max.

Hmmm - you made me resist my initial reflex to just do it. Thank you! As I am a libra decisions don't come easy ... :-). Buy the new stuff first, test and then sell seems to be a good way to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriouswaysboy View Post
    Decent Old ac30s are getting harder to find. I'd keep them and get an axe. Keep the korg as welll. The drives in fractal are not convincing to me...
    The drives have recently been updated (Q6 FW).

I cannot tell the difference between my ac39cc2x and the Axefx through the PA.

Quote Originally Posted by drumu2 View Post
    I've thought about doing the same thing. I'm an odd man out that's still tap-dancing with a regular pedalboard as I contemplate investing in a rack setup, and how large I want it to be.

Here is my only conundrum:

I've noticed since Edge has introduced more AxeFX and less analog pedals that his tone has suffered. That's my opinion. But since the 360 Tour I think his tone is noticeably worse than from previous tours, especially PopMart and Elevation.

Of course it might just be the mix, or my own ears. But I enjoy his tone much less now than in previous tours.
    Thing is though, you might notice it, some people here with equally delicate ears might notice it, but 99.9% of the people in any audience will never notice it. Energy of a show, performance of the artists, the songs you're playing, quality of the PA system, they all trump what gear you're using. Gear matters, because you want it to be reliable and not break down at a critical moment. And you want to be heard by the audience and not get drowned in a mix. But once those conditions are set you can play a kick ass energetic show and the audience will not hear the difference between using a cheap ass Boss overdrive, a high class expensive boutique overdrive, or a digital modeller. They're just not focused on that. Only other guitarists might notice. And guitarists make for the ****tiest audience anyway. And being in a place like this, with fellow gear nuts, it's easy to overlook that.

I used to rock a huge ass pedal board before switching over to the Axe-FX. Is the Axe the same as my pedal board? In some ways its worse, in others its better. I do miss some of my dirt pedals and my Mutron II phaser clone. I miss the ease with which I could change sounds on the fly with pedals. I don't miss having to tapdance during songs and coming to the realization during songs that I forgot to change settings on a key pedal. I don't miss that sometimes I would experience failures in my gear because a chain as is only as strong as its weakest link and a pedal board is basically a chain with a lot of links so lots of chances for it to go wrong. Consistency is a quality of its own and I guess Edge has come to that same conclusion. Especially after the 360 tour which saw the band playing open air shows under sometimes atrocious weather conditions with gear that was sometimes decades old. The SDD-3K, A3 and 2290 that are so important to his sound have been out of production for how long now? Do you really want to depend on stuff that old for years on end while experiencing some of the worst weather conditions?
    Last edited by mUadzIn; 11-20-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Are you still selling the sdd-3000? I'm interested

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msingh92 View Post
    Are you still selling the sdd-3000? I'm interested

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I got two of them. Are you interested in one or in both?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12