Thread: "Edge approved" Stratocaster

Question "Edge approved" Stratocaster

I recently selled my strat because the pick ups were way to bright and I didn't like the look of it anymore.

So I want to buy a new one and I want to make it look like Edge's well known strat, completely black with a maple neck.

Basicly I came up with 2 solutions;

1. A black Squier standard strat with a maple neck, upgrading it with black pickguard and knobs, new electronics and Fender 57/62 pick ups (I read alot about those pickups and that they give good vintage tone).

2. A 'real' black Fender MIM Strat with a maple neck. Though the stock pups in these guitars are also, a bit bright, according to the reviews I read. Upgrading a MIM with new pups is to expensive for me at this moment, but if the stock pups in the guitar give good Edge tone i'd like to go for a 'real' Fender offcourse.

I'd like to ask some advice on what I can do best and i'd like to see if u guys have some other solutions, they will be appreciated!

Greetings, Matt

I would go for the option 2 because you can change the pups later if it's really needed. By the way I was in the same situation few month ago and I ended up buying parts on eBay (mostly some "crafted in Japan" part) and "build" my own frankenstrat (www.macphistoo.net) ! I did that because I had some spare time to put on it otherwise I would go for a MIM "Fender" strat :P
    //// Fabrice

dutchyU2
    Just go for the MIM 70's reissue, has a maple neck, big headstock and the pick-ups are fine, believe me. I have mine now for more than a year and I prefer it before my american strat...
    Only thing I did to it, I changed the white parts, s.a. pickguard, pu covers etc. for black, just for the look.....

gr Bert

Blog Entries
    + 1 to 70´s MIM Classic player. I´v got it for two years now. Great guitar that beats many USA standards i´ve had in my hands. Pups are not problem, you can change them whenever u´ll feel you need to.
    Its not about gear, the goal is soul.

I have a Highway One series Strat,they come in black,they have the large headstock,the stock pups are hot but sound good,and its a USA built guitar,I got mine used in perfect shape for $500
    Desert Sky,Dreamed Beneath A Desert Sky...

Thanks for all the comments guys! I never even took a look at the 70's reissue. I'm gonna go for that one, it seems like it's a great guitar for its money!

Blog Entries
    One thing I would add, if it's new guitar, play the guitar before you buy... if at all possible. That's one advantage of a music store over online purchase. If it feels like a real dog - insist the music store get's a pro setup done before you buy.

But, then if budget is a constraint take a look on eBay and be patient and wait for right guitar to come along... you'd be surprised at some classic bargains on there. If you go down this route, be prepared to pay an extra £100 in your own time to get the guitar a professional Set-Up. Before you buy second hand make sure you get written confirmation of the following:-

1) No breakages to body, no previous breakages and repairs (like snapped headstock etc)
    2) Neck is Straight and not warped or bent. No damage to truss rod.
    3) No electrical faults - pickups with no sound, selector switch or POTs that buzz, crackle or pop.
    4) Fret's not worn (so much they need replacing).

The above issues will all need expensive repairs which will probably make the guitar not worth buying. Sometimes electrics can be a cheap fix, but sometimes it may need a lot more which can be pricy (£200+). Wait and you'll find a better one for the same or even cheaper price - believe me.

Cosmetically it may have a few scratches or small dents - but that doesn't matter (unless this is a real problem for you).

dutchyU2

Blog Entries
    Theedge269 is selling his I noticed - it's quite Edge approved, but no black pickguard:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Str...item337005025d

Quote Originally Posted by dutchyU2 View Post
    Yeah I'm gonna order this one today probably! Bedankt