Thread: Whammy Settings?

Whammy Settings?

Is the Whammy on this song 1 or 2 octaves up? I can't tell. It sounds more like one octave when I listen to the song, but 2 octaves sounds better when I play it.

Blog Entries
    I'd say the main whammy is set to +1 octave. But underneath he is playing a power chord (Open E and A string 7th Fret I think), which has an octave in it anyway.

So the whammy adds an octave to each note.

There's another effect in there which is a bit like a harmonic modulator adding various random higher notes to the mix - I don't know what that is. It might just be pinched harmonics.
    Last edited by TooTone76; 12-30-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mind you... it could be +24. I've tried both - the +24 gives some of the higher notes you can hear. For the +12 setting, which sounds nicer/smoother, although you can coax harmonics out of the guitar on high gain, getting this to happen can be a bit random. Also tapping harmonics works (and useful if you want to add you're own artistic licence), but Edge cannot be doing this because his right hand is in the air like a rodeo star.

On Line 6 POD HD with +24 setting you get a lot of spurious high frequencies (bad tracking), to counter this I put whammy (Pitch Glide) right at the start of the signal chain (I think you're supposed to do this anyway), so these high frequencies are damped down by remaining FX chain (distortion, amp etc).
    Last edited by TooTone76; 01-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.