Thread: G-DEC 30 Vox AC 30 tone

Senior Member My street has a name's Avatar
    Blog Entries

G-DEC 30 Vox AC 30 tone

hi everyone. I have a Fender GDEC 30 and I am wondering if you guys have any tips for getting the Edge's tone through this amp. If you are not familiar with it, it has an amp model called Brit Jangle, which is there shot at a Vox amp. You can control the basic parameters of highs, mids, and lows, and gain. Any tips on how I should adjust these parameters to get as close as possible to the Edge's core Vox tone?

Thank, David
    Last Name: Edge
    First Name: The

I have a g dec 3 15 and to be honest it is quite difficult to get near using the British jangle setting, I am actually looking at now getting a Vox AC4 tv because of this or a Fender Vibrochamp xd, I tried the Fender yesterday and it gets very close and is more versatile than the Vox, both are small tube amps.
    The settings I use though on the G Dec are Amp; British jangle, gain; 4 to 7 depending on the song but for most U2 around 5, treble; 6, bass; 4.8, middle; 9 then use the fender fuse to put the reverb and delays after the amp, I use mono and small hall.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help. Ill try putting the effects after the amp instead of before later today. I cant really afford to get a true Vox amp like an AC4 (Teenager on a budget), but i am hoping to be able to get one. Again, thanks for the tips.

David

If you need a bit more drive without using too much gain use the hot rod grit amp, I just tried that by accident and it gives a little bit more body, great little amp the G Dec though and does everything pretty well.

Cheers

Steve

Blog Entries
    thanks. I have been trying to get a setting for "The Fly". I am using Amp: Very Distorted Delay: 420, but it just doesn't sound the same. I know that there is a wah in there somewhere. Any thoughts on getting the tone for "The Fly"?

Quote Originally Posted by My street has a name View Post
    thanks. I have been trying to get a setting for "The Fly". I am using Amp: Very Distorted Delay: 420, but it just doesn't sound the same. I know that there is a wah in there somewhere. Any thoughts on getting the tone for "The Fly"?
    No sorry cant help there maybe the hot rod grit with the overdrive pedal added, the edge does not use massive amounts of gain on songs and that amp simulation you are trying might be to distorted, always plenty of middle on the EQ though, would be easy if we could all afford the axe fx ha ha

Blog Entries
    I've been through the same kind of frustration with various modeller's and other amp's etc. I hate to say this but sometimes the best you can hope for is a compromise, or you could drive yourself mad trying to dial in a tone that just isn't there. I've never used a GDec, so I'm not saying it can't do it, but it sounds like you've tried a lot and haven't managed.

You have to assume that the people at Fender didn't just dream that "British Jangle" tone out of nowhere, so there must be some element of an AC30 in there, so it's probably true "Jangle" will get you closest.

Some things to try (since it's a modelling amp) is:-

1) Turn off all other effects, including reverb.
    2) Use a guitar that closest matches one of Edge's - I see you got a present from Santa .
    3) Apologise to your family/flatmates/neighbours, then turn drive down/off (if it has one) and crank the volume up as loud as you dare (on the Jangly setting). Set bass/mid/treble to 0. It will sound AWFUL... but be patient. Turn up Bass bit by bit, and stop when it sounds too "Boomy/Farty/Flappy". Turn up Treble bit by bit and stop when it sounds too harsh/bright/unpleasant that it hurts your ears, then turn it down 1-2 notches. Now turn up mid until it fills out the sound and sounds pleasant with Bass and Treble as you set them above.
    4) Following 3 you should now have at least a pleasant tone, because your ears tuned it in, even if it isn't exactly AC30 or Edge.
    5) Carry on playing and make slight adjustments to treble and mid to try and round off the high frequencies.
    6) Repeat the process every time you play - just to start tuning your ears. You'll zone in to a U2-like tone without realising.

The reason to turn up your amp full is because the amp and speaker are designed as a pair. 30 watts can be very loud. So while you're at bedroom playing level, you might not be driving the speaker hard enough to hear the AC30 tone, it won't be resonating the cone hard enough to bring out all the character that the AC30 amp sim is providing. Another tip when setting the tone is play your guitar across the fret board and listen. I usually play - An Open E Chord (all 6 strings), Barred A Chord 5th Fret, Barred D Chord 10th Fret and then some double stops (2 string chords) up above the 12th fret (try chorus part out of Beautiful Day). This tests the amp response across the range of your guitar. Make sure Guitar Volume and tone are on FULL. The Open E chord will tell you if your Bass control is too boomy, The double stops will tell you if your Treble is too bright. Then everything in between is exactly that - in between.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTone76 View Post
    I've been through the same kind of frustration with various modeller's and other amp's etc. I hate to say this but sometimes the best you can hope for is a compromise, or you could drive yourself mad trying to dial in a tone that just isn't there. I've never used a GDec, so I'm not saying it can't do it, but it sounds like you've tried a lot and haven't managed.

You have to assume that the people at Fender didn't just dream that "British Jangle" tone out of nowhere, so there must be some element of an AC30 in there, so it's probably true "Jangle" will get you closest.

Some things to try (since it's a modelling amp) is:-

1) Turn off all other effects, including reverb.
    2) Use a guitar that closest matches one of Edge's - I see you got a present from Santa .
    3) Apologise to your family/flatmates/neighbours, then turn drive down/off (if it has one) and crank the volume up as loud as you dare (on the Jangly setting). Set bass/mid/treble to 0. It will sound AWFUL... but be patient. Turn up Bass bit by bit, and stop when it sounds too "Boomy/Farty/Flappy". Turn up Treble bit by bit and stop when it sounds too harsh/bright/unpleasant that it hurts your ears, then turn it down 1-2 notches. Now turn up mid until it fills out the sound and sounds pleasant with Bass and Treble as you set them above.
    4) Following 3 you should now have at least a pleasant tone, because your ears tuned it in, even if it isn't exactly AC30 or Edge.
    5) Carry on playing and make slight adjustments to treble and mid to try and round off the high frequencies.
    6) Repeat the process every time you play - just to start tuning your ears. You'll zone in to a U2-like tone without realising.

The reason to turn up your amp full is because the amp and speaker are designed as a pair. 30 watts can be very loud. So while you're at bedroom playing level, you might not be driving the speaker hard enough to hear the AC30 tone, it won't be resonating the cone hard enough to bring out all the character that the AC30 amp sim is providing. Another tip when setting the tone is play your guitar across the fret board and listen. I usually play - An Open E Chord (all 6 strings), Barred A Chord 5th Fret, Barred D Chord 10th Fret and then some double stops (2 string chords) up above the 12th fret (try chorus part out of Beautiful Day). This tests the amp response across the range of your guitar. Make sure Guitar Volume and tone are on FULL. The Open E chord will tell you if your Bass control is too boomy, The double stops will tell you if your Treble is too bright. Then everything in between is exactly that - in between.
    Thanks TooTone76, The Strat really helps get that Edge sound, especially on Streets. Sounds amazing. I'll have to wait until there is a time where I'm home alone to try out your tips. And you are probably right about driving the speaker. The volume knob on the GDEC goes to 10, but I have it on 3, usually with the guitar volume on 10. That setting is usually loud enough to hear throughout the house. When I'm home alone I definitely get into the zone LOL. I have also found that on "The Fly" the strat makes it sound 70% there. Before I was using a Peavey Raptor. The guitar really shapes the tone. I will continue tweaking the amp settings and try out your advice. I feel I am 80-90% there tone wise, but I'm a perfectionist and sometimes small things drive me crazy LOL.

Thanks, David