Thread: Lemon, see through in the sunlight

Lemon, see through in the sunlight

was working on this for quite a while now. as this was a huge learning experience for me on so many fronts. with the help of tim, i am slowly getting better with vst strings and piano. spent quite some time on the sorta raspy cello sound. didnt like any of the virtual tambourines, so yeah, thats a real tambourine played there. and at the end, i had absolutely no clue, how to work with a green screen for the video. so a lot of trial and error and nowhere near, where i wanted it to be, but at one point i gotta stop.
    started completely from scratch, kept the structure from the album more or less, but changed the key, the tempo and the beginning.
    this is my absolute number one u2 song of all times. from the very first time i heard it in 1993 until now, it just does things to my soul, that no other song can do. the cello part before the last verse is my absolute favorite part of their whole catalogue and i spent a lot of hours only on those couple of seconds.

being such a huge fan of this song, i am very intimitated so even work on it. but my experience told me, that working on a song so intensively, brings it even closer to you. you even learn and hear new things, which you seemed to miss out until now.

so, if nothing else, its a love relationship between me and that song. lol.

the video... well... its me, a green screen, a gazzillion different attempts to light it out properly and - u guessed it - TONS of beer. so this is, what came out:

http://youtu.be/SMnHV9aUthM

Great to hear and watch, as always.
    There're some art in all this.
    Thank you for sharing, Joe.

Once again a great moment of creativity.
    I think more and more that your Channel on youtube is one of the most interesting one I know.

Well done Steve !
    Please keep on going !

Blog Entries
    Hey Joe (where you going with that Axe in your hand).... I digress!

Another cool cover my friend. I also love this song and wish they would play it more live. I get reminded of dance remixes doing the rounds in the 90's clubs which sounded very cool.

I like the bass work on the intro and the strings sound good. VST's are getting better and better. I like the piano work on the verses, a lovely clean/crisp sound during verse which I like a lot. I appreciate how much work it is on a multi-layer project like this, so well done!
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Good effort and different approach. Nice video too

Man, your videos are fantastic! It's not my favourite but you did a cool version. I don't know if I'm right but did you change some chords from Major to Minor in comparison to the original? Like it, gives a special mood.
    "It´s a musical journey!" (Larry)

Great video Joe as always!!
    Left handed man.

Very cool and original version, like it! The video is great too, i wish i could do stuff like that but i wouldn't know where to begin

thank you very much guys for your kind words. it really means a lot to me.

kudos to you bonjek, you are really very attentive. you, as usual, are absolutely right. the original chords are Em/C/Am on Eb tuning. for some strange reason, the net is flooded with those absolutely strange chords Dm/Bb/Gm on the first 1capo on E tuning. which is exactly the same, just a lot more complicated. and apparently nobody bothers, because those weird chords are copied over and over to all those chord webpages. Anyway, since my falsetto capabilities are very limited, I was quite happy to play it a bit lower, so I played it Dm/Bb/Gm without a capo on Eb. which gives me 2 halftones. So, as usual, it all started with some acoustic experimenting. I was throwing in some Dsus into the first chord and some Bbm into the second chord here and there. And I kindo liked this flavor of a minor in there, so I just kept it. didnt influence the bassline, so thats all cool.

urban legend says, that a looped sample of a rocking chair is going through the whole song. (starting at 'she's gonna make you cry...) I personally still think, its a regular guiro, but I like the story. Kind of fits the rumours, that Eno actually used an electric razor in 'Being Born'.

Again, thx for your comments. I really appreciate that.