Thread: Signal Path - Rack Under 'construction' (wiring)

Signal Path - Rack Under 'construction' (wiring)

Hi Guys..

I need some suggestions from the Rack geeks...
    I have a headache just thinking about all the wiring I need to make to start using the effects again.

I attached 4 examples of wiring I could come up to.

I am asking for some example of best practice (if there is), on how to connect since I assume we have some identical gear.

Any idea/suggestion is welcome!

Cheers!
    Leo

Blog Entries
    Loooong ago i made pedalboards and racks.. Lol.. I cant really help, just some thoughts:

Will you use the joyo all the time (mono) ? Another thing: the cab might be stereo, but i dont think you'll actually will hear that effect (speakers way to close). Maybe use mono all the time?

If i remember well its always good to have the buffer at the beginning, right? There was something with buffers and wahs, but you dont have a wah pedal. Does the kayfuzz need the buffer close? If not, that would be my first "pedal".

The sdd-preamp should be there to drive a real amp/tubes. Your ears should decide if you want it before delays (like sdd 3000) or after delays, or maybe even just before your poweramp. I estimate it will now only boost the signal.

What will generate shimmer? Pod or h9?

Yes Jacques, joyo is ON all the time (on the loop of the mixer).
    Agree, for the stereo 'effect' it is not the ideal to have the speaker too close, but since the connections are done like this, I will leave this way.

I used to use the buffer to split the signal and don't loose signal strengh in one of the two channels. But I mainly use it for spltting signal. I don't feel like I'm loosing signal in my chain, that I would need a buffer to solve it. The Kay doesn't need the buffer, but I am concerned because I need to leave it in a way that I can turn it on/off by patches (that's why using always in a loop). If I leave it as the first pedal, for Elevation, when changing to the distortion part, I would need to turn it off 'manually'. 2 steps for 1 action, it is not the ideal, but let's see.

The sdd preamp, I like to use it to boost the A2, mainly the delays. I used in tube amps and now in the poweramp, I couldn't feel too much difference from one to another. But boosting the signal and making it a little 'crispy' works fine for me.

Shimmer, I prefer from Eventide, but I don't see a problem using from POD (But I am still working on patches to don't get the damn DSP message I'm facing many times). Eventide H9 is used mainly for delay and the chrystal echoes algorithm (it is bypassed most of the times).

My main problem (I think) is to find a way to be able to control everything without a GCX for example, keeping the quality of the sound.

Simon is your man. He gets great sounds from his pod pro based rack with similar extra stuff to the gear you have

Blog Entries
    I can try and help... not sure what you need to know tho... my first question is... If you are to control everything without a GCX then what are you gonna replace it with? (you are gonna need something IMHO)

(thanks for the recommendation @Bigtim

Tks for the tio bigtim

Hello Simon

Well, i do not play in a band so, i do not need any fancy solution. I mainly use and have been using two signal paths for some time now, and i want to keep this way because I know that if I don't I will have to use something similar to the Gcx.

So, to be able to switch between h9 and kay fuzz, i was thinking of using the pod's loop and split the signal using the dual buffer, and only H9 returning to the pod. Kay fuzz would go directly to the mixer.

I know it sounds weird, but in this way i could turn on/off the loop in the pod and then deactivate these two pedals.

And using the direct out i would use the second signal path for the sdd and korg. To control the korg, i would not use the gcp, i would use the midi mouse and boss fs6, to mute it when not being used.
    But of course, it is just an idea.

I would appreciate a lot, help in configuration between pod and the gcp. I ordered the firmware 1.13 from voodoo labs since my gcp is from 2004 and it's outdated.

Blog Entries
    OK I can help on the POD Midi config... (i know nothing about the GCP, because I built my own custom footcontroller).

I find it easier for this kinda stuff to draw the audio paths in separate diagram to the MIDI cabling

As you "know" MIDI is a chain network (unless you buy splitters / repeaters) so if all you kit has MIDI THRU ports, then you can effectively connect them in any order it will make hardly any difference at all.

Your Midi cabling is either

GCP -> HD PRO -> KORG A2 -> EVENTIDE H9

or

GCP -> HD PRO -> EVENTIDE H9 -> KORG A2

the messages will be sent along this chain, so any device can be given a message with either setup... it will only result in a few micro seconds of difference between receiving the messages at the end of a long chain.

in my rig, I have some devices which don't have a THRU port and I needed an additional "out" for connection to "bono's" Voicelive Kit.

Long and short of it is... you already have a midi design. Just need to get the GCP to send the right messages on the right channels. I would advocate putting each device on a separate MIDI CHANNEL so that you "know" its only getting the messages intended for it.

Audio
    ------
    any of your options look OK to me. I have similar setup. I don't use the Dry out. (I believe you can only use that off the GUITAR IN of the POD. ie. if you use SPDIF inputs or Variax for example, you won't get any signal on the DRY OUT)
    Last edited by simonp54; 05-10-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks for the tips Simon. I already wired everything, now I'm spending some time doing the midi stuf.

*I'll be using POD's input, that's why I'm gonna use the dry out.

Tks a lot!