Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge's rig setup for axe fx... New base preset

Blog Entries

Edge's rig setup for axe fx... New base preset

I was triggered by what Edo said on the fractal forum. I've pm-ed him some questions, but he might be bothered by people asking for presets, so i don't expect him to answer (which i understand).

Anyway; as i typically use stereo on the axe fx, Edo thinks edge uses multiple mono setups live. So i started to make a brand new base u2 preset with that in mind.

And it worked, it has a great sound, but also leaves me with some questions.

Edo says pride is a mix of vox 1, 2 and vox/box. Vox clean amp, vox 2 dark (crunchy?) amp, and vox-box fat tone.(solo?). And of course number 4, shimmer.

What is that vox/box? Vox sound out of a pedal of some kind? When i think of it, as the vox model has a fat switch, wouldnt that be the same? Have to test it. Any ideas?

Pride might be a mix of three mono signals, i guess (help!) that for example bad might be a mix of both voxes and streets might be only vox 1 (clean). What do you think?

I am thinking now of using an expression pedal to mix in/out the vox 2 model i have. That way i can test sounds of different songs, with different mixes. Just thought of that typing this here, lol.

Last but not least: how to mix this in the axe fx? Now i have a straight forward solution for it, which works, but what would be best?

I played along Edo's pride version yesterday (1/2 step down) and it sounded quiet close already. Edo plays pride different, so i was checking if i can play it like that ;-)). But my sound wasnt far of of his (happy me). Key was me not using kimans! They seem to have more drive that i thought. I used my '70 strat at about 8,5 volume (kinmans needed no more than 6 volume wise).

Anyway: any good info or thoughts on this is really appreciated! Think Edo pointed this in a good direction!

Vox box is a special vox that is inside a box.
    You should find some pictures on the net or here somewhere on the forum.

Curious about your new approach regarding vox base tone Jacques.

Hm. Very interesting idea about mixing two (or more amps) - actually never thought about that for my U2 presets. Gotta do some tweaking and experimenting, I see. Glad I´ve got a Rac12

Blog Entries
    Hi manu, you are right ;-).

Edo says that no1 vox and vox/box are used all the time, and that edge uses vox2 (dark one) for pride, uteotw etc.

How to emulate all that! Lol.

I might need to add my liverpool to add the vox #2 sound for my tests, that way i can fiddle with vox1, vox/box (crunchy vox) and vox2.

At this moment i like the pride sound i get, but more details need loads more time and tweaking.

Do you have kinmans manu? Am i right in them having "more" drive in them, so not superclean strat sound? Maybe i need to lower them a little itsy bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Hm. Very interesting idea about mixing two (or more amps) - actually never thought about that for my U2 presets. Gotta do some tweaking and experimenting, I see. Glad I´ve got a Rac12
    Yes, do so ;-) . Let me know what you find out.

The two mono amp thing is quite straight forward, not rocket science. I am "blending" them currently using the ..eh, not the master volume, but the volume right of that (forgot its name). That way you can get different mixture of amps to taste. I have the clean amp louder than the vox/box crunchy one.

But pls report back, might save lots of time ;-))))

I don't have kinmanns.
    So far I know, they are not supposed to be very high output pickups, but I don't really know
    I just can say that your preset are generally very "glassy" and with a lot of treble on my guitar. Probably close to the original sound, but not always what I prefer.
    Of course I have and use your core tone preset with the SM57 N.

Some two amps preset are sounding really well. I have already observed that.
    I have somewhere a Fender+Vox from Fremen which sounds really good, and offers many possibilities with the scene feature. (not sure if it is directly from fremen or from someone else in fremen's preset pack).
    I am currently doing a HUGE cleaning of all my presets, because I have too much of everything.
    I mean, listening quickly if it sounds "great", or delete immediately.
    I am going to keep maybe 20 various presets (not especially VOX or U2), and try to build on that . Base preset from fremen (WIWY+Pride+Still+....) sounds really good to me with the provided IR. I can imagine using this preset for many songs.
    Not to say that I am a big fan of fremen preset, even they are not always 100% close to the original sound. They are always very well balanced, and I like them, especially the clean one.
    Fremen make a big use of reverb, compressor, Ehancer, Multitap delay, Pitch etc... Complicated routing. I like that. Very interesting because at the end, it sounds great. He is very good for ambient/crazy tone, synth, etc...

I am personally a little tired of constant update, because it "kills" all the time I could spend on the guitar
    I have 18.10 and don't intend to update in a while from now.

Regarding Edo, it is no sense to even think sounding like him. He is "out of this world ".
    He is so good. Same thing with Mick.
    Last edited by manu68; 05-05-2015 at 03:10 PM.

For the 3 clips, Edo uses Irish Tour set pickups from bareknuckles and it is vintage hot pickups.

Blog Entries

Edge's rig setup for axe fx... New base preset

Quote Originally Posted by thinknolimitz View Post
    For the 3 clips, Edo uses Irish Tour set pickups from bareknuckles and it is vintage hot pickups.
    Good point. I had to use my '70 strat to get closer in sound, the kinmans didnt do it.

I at first had the delays after amp/cab which sounded fine to me. Edo has them in front of amp/cab , so i tried that yesterday evening, but it just didnt sound as good to me, lost "the vox sparkle" and some stereo image.

I also added a liverpool pedal in the loop to test with three amps (vox1, vox2 and vox in a box), but thats a little to much atm, first back to basics.

--------------- vox1 ----- cab1 ------ delay1 (main)----reverb1-------
    \
    - vox/box --cab2------delay2 (short)---- reverb2----

I have something like this, which worked ok.

Edo says:
    left amp is ac30tb into rw ac30 blue edge cap, right amp is ac30hw into rw ac30 blue cone edge

And

The vox/box is a 90's korg era ac30 mic'd in an iso box under the stage at very hi volume (= much more bottom end and crunch/compression). All of edge's vox patches use vox 1 and vox/box, some use vox 2 as well (i.e. pride, bullet the blue sky etc).

You can hear vox1 and vox2 in the edge/joe mp3 testing the axe fx. Vox1 is the normal (!) vox sound, vox2 that dark sounding vox.
    Last edited by Jacques; 05-07-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    Do you set the balance on two lines on the output mixer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toopy14 View Post
    Do you set the balance on two lines on the output mixer?
    No, i dont use a mixer; i have the volume on vox1 +2db (roughly) and the voxbox -13db. The axe fx "mixes" the two lines. Listening with headphones you'll have a minor stereo effect (maybe the brain does that).

If you cross the lines before reverbs also, you'll create a much wider stereo effect (but thats not my taste, a little too much).

Edo will have one line to fx loop for his real ac30. Thats probably why he has delays and effects before amps. Just copy them over if you like to test that. Imho the delays are slightly duller, which needs more tweaking to resolve that.

I used the the amp aye cee 30 as "vox1" btw, the hw i did not change uptill now.

Think the key is to have vox 1 sound as edges vox 1 (hollow voxy sound) , voxbox as that crunchy/low vox and vox2 as dark sounding vox. Then start mixing the main two and if required adding the third to taste, and per song ofcourse.

My guess is the aye cee model, with eq and maybe filter will do great as vox1.
    The voxbox is a boxy sounding hot ac30.

If anyone has good suggestions, ideas, please let me know ;-)))

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast