Thread: Axe fx-2 with gcx audio switcher midi cable question

Axe fx-2 with gcx audio switcher midi cable question

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the fractal forum but received no response so I thought I'd try and see if anyone here can help me.

Does the Axe-FX2 midi thru use pins 1&3. I read this in the GCX Audio Switcher Manual and I want to make sure I don't fry anything. I'm using the MFC-101 connected via midi right now to the AXE-FX2 and wanting to use the GCX Audio Switcher with other effects and amps connected to it in the effects loop of the AXE but I'm worried about connecting a standard 5 pin midi cable into the gcx pedal in jack. I had no problem with the ground control pro but I just got a mc-101 which is far better with the axe.

This is what the GCX Manual says...

Using the GCX without a Ground Control __________________________________________________ _______
    Warning: The PEDAL IN jack on the GCX is not a standard MIDI In. It utilizes the two normally unused pins to provide 9 volts A.C. power for the Ground Control. Before connecting to a device other than the Ground Control, you must either use a cable without pins 1 and 3 wired, or verify that the MIDI Out of that device conforms to the MIDI specification which states that pins 1 and 3 are unconnected. Failure to do so can result in severe damage to your equipment. If you have any questions about this, please contact Digital Music Corporation's customer service department.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

Blog Entries
    I am not sure why you would use a 5 pin midi to a pedal in jack to power stuff? Is that the way the gcx is powered? Or does it use a 7-pin midi? If you make a cable yourself, its fairly easy to have pins 1&3 unused, and have a test.

Personnaly i would take any risks with the axe..

Hi Jacques,
    The GCX Audio Switcher does in fact carry 9Volts through midi pins 1&3 on a 5 pin midi cord connected to its pedal in jack. I confirmed this myself with a voltage meter. I used to use the GCX Ground Control which got it's "phantom" power from the Audio Switcher this way but since I've added the AXE and MFC to my rig, I wanted to make sure nothing would get fried through my midi chain. I sent an email to Fractal about finding out if the AXE utilizes pins 1&3 on it's midi thru jack, but haven't heard back yet. The GCX Audio Switcher Pedal In Jack is not a standard midi in jack as stated in the manual even though it does carry midi messages. Ultimately, I snapped off the 1&3 pins from the midi cable end connected to the pedal in jack and everything works the way I want it too without having to worry about this. Right now my MFC is connected to my AXE with a CAT5 cable (so it's powered that way) and I use the AXE to transmit midi messages to the rest of the gear in my rack.

I agree with you totally that I wouldn't take any risks with the axe, and any other gear for that matter. If anyone is using the GCX Audio Switcher with anything other than the Ground Control Pro, I'd suggest really making sure the other units connected in the midi chain are not utilizing pins 1&3 or to make sure a midi cable that doesn't have pins 1&3 connected is used, or make one, as you said, or snap off those to pins at the connection to the GCX, as I did. This unit does send 9Volts through pins 1&3.

Nice that there are some other sources that could help you out

Sorry. Did I offend anyone? Certainly not my intention. Bert over at U2 guitarists group on Facebook helped me sort this out.
    Last edited by michael.f; 03-23-2015 at 07:39 PM.

G6122 = Bert @U2Guitarists facebook.