Thread: AC30 Speaker Options

AC30 Speaker Options

Hey All!

Been a few years since I've posted on here. Quick rundown, recently purchased a 2005 Vox AC30CC2 (finally). They still have the stock Wharfdales installed and are almost broken in at this point, I think the previous owner didn't use this guy much. But I think I want to upgrade the speakers in the near future. First off, I know the obvious goto is Celestion Blues. But I was wondering if any of you all have any past experience with other speakers aka Weber or Vintage Rolas?

Cheers,

T

Quote Originally Posted by tweiseman View Post
    Hey All!

Been a few years since I've posted on here. Quick rundown, recently purchased a 2005 Vox AC30CC2 (finally). They still have the stock Wharfdales installed and are almost broken in at this point, I think the previous owner didn't use this guy much. But I think I want to upgrade the speakers in the near future. First off, I know the obvious goto is Celestion Blues. But I was wondering if any of you all have any past experience with other speakers aka Weber or Vintage Rolas?

T

I installed a Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell in my 2006 AC30CC2 and absolutely love how they sound.

Also, I removed the bright cap in the amp. It definitely helped remove some of the ice pick treble from the tone.

---
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ultravioledge View Post
    I installed a Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell in my 2006 AC30CC2 and absolutely love how they sound.

Also, I removed the bright cap in the amp. It definitely helped remove some of the ice pick treble from the tone.

---
    David
    awesome. thanks David. still pretty new to tube amps, but I know my way around some
    circuitry. how difficult is the bright cap mod?

T

Quote Originally Posted by tweiseman View Post
    awesome. thanks David. still pretty new to tube amps, but I know my way around some
    circuitry. how difficult is the bright cap mod?

T
    It's pretty simple and straightforward. I know a couple of people in this forum that have completed that amp modification successfully.

Here is a guide I used to reference the work that needed to be performed for my particular amp model: http://www.ac30-guide.com/?page_id=35

There's also more information via Google if you search "AC30 bright cap mod".

All this being said, it is potentially dangerous and can be lethal – proceed at your own risk. And that article I referenced above clearly speaks to both the personal and equipment risks.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit anxious doing it.

---
    David

Blog Entries
    Speakers

100% what David said. I have a CC2 as well and those are the speakers I bought and installed. Here are the specs. from my Weber order;

[Item # 1]
    1 item Blue12A subtotal = $ 195.00 (No Tax)
    Blue Dog British Series AlNiCo 12 inch Speaker
    * Dope - Light
    * Impedance - 8 Ohms
    * Power - 30 watts

[Item # 2]
    1 item Slvr12A subtotal = $ 195.00 (No Tax)
    British Series AlNiCo 12 inch Speaker
    * Dope - Light
    * Impedance - 8 Ohms
    * Power - 30 watts

When you solder the wire to the lugs on the speaker, make sure you put something over the paper cone. If you drop hot solder on the cone, you'll ruin the speaker.

Bright Cap. Removal

100% what David said. I had a CC1 and removing the bright cap. made a huge difference.

BE CAREFUL!!!! The capacitors in the amp. pack a hell of a wallop...not the bright cap. it's just a tiny little guy (see pic. in document). To be sure that the caps. have been drained. Turn the amp. on, plug in a guitar and start strumming. Turn the amp. off and keep strumming to bleed the energy stored in the caps.

Here's a document I put together, based on Lyle's procedure and pics and with a pic. I took of the cap.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fl20z1xyc...xwoQ1hpKa?dl=0

My CC2 was modded by Lyle Caldwell. Among other things, he modded it so the "standard/custom" switch between the treble and bass knobs takes the bright cap out of the circuit (standard = bright cap).
    Last edited by Toopy14; 03-20-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have the same speakers in my ac30 clone. Happy with them. The silvers give another sound, more marshally (i dont have a better description, so sorry for that word here on u2 forum).

Weber Silver Bell... I love them
    All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us.