Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else do i need to start recording??

Blog Entries

Question What else do i need to start recording??

I just ordered a Shure sm57 to mic my Ac15 ,Calkewalk active monitors and a Pod studio UX1 as the audio interface that is meant to come with POD Farm 2.5, AbletonĀ® Live Lite Line 6 Edition 8-track recording software and RiffWorks™ T4 recording software.
    But as i am a total beginner when it comes to recording.So what else do I need.
    I want to upload videos to youtube so I will need a video camera with a mic input(I think),so if anyone can recommend a cheap camera for under €200.

If anyone would like to talk me through what I need to do from start to finish or show me a youtube video or anything else that would help,they would have a friend for life

Adam
    Last edited by Adam; 12-18-2011 at 01:52 AM.
    Zootv and pop were the best tours,until they bring the greatest show ever on the road ZOOPOP.I cant wait .The lemon in front of the zoo tv stage.

Blog Entries
    Hey Adam!

Congrats on your new rec gear!! I think you are almost there! are you using a mac or Pc?

Blog Entries
    Pc
    Windows 7 64 bit edition
    2.13Ghz processor
    3.8Gb of usable space
    I know the processor isnt great but I dont have the money to upgrade as i keep spending it on gear and I couldnt be bothered stripping a laptop down to put in a new processor
    Can you think of anything else I need?or recommend a camara as I really dont have a clue how to record my amp and camera together.
    Zootv and pop were the best tours,until they bring the greatest show ever on the road ZOOPOP.I cant wait .The lemon in front of the zoo tv stage.

Woah, that's quite some money spent there. Spent well that is. I own the UX1 aswell, please be aware that it doesn't support Phantom Power, which some mics use.

If you on a Mac platform, i recommend you start with Garageband or Logic as your DAW. I found these quite simply, as I didn't get Pro Tools at all.

Best of luck.
    Les Paul Copy - Ibanez Western Acoustic - Vox AC4TV mini - Behringer 15W - Line6 Pod HD500 - Line6 UX1 interface -
    Yamaha YPT-310 keyboard - Macbook Pro 13"

Blog Entries
    hmmm... good question... I think as far as audio recording you are all set! you got the mic, rec interface and the DAW.. I know Michael uses a canon to record his tutorials on youtube, but that might be a bit over the budget you posted earlier.. I myself use a Mac and rely on the built-in camera (which is not that bad in my opinion) If you used a mac, I would first suggest trying the built in iSight camera..

I think you can find a camera within your budget but might have to record directly (not use the camera's mic) and then sync the audio with the video.. which is completely fine as you have all the tools for that! ;-) Sorry I wan't much of a help... but perhaps someone else who is familiar with PCs can give a good suggestion...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ishtar,
    Do you know if the Sm57 uses Phantom power?
    That is only the half of what I ordered,I ordered a new Tele,Ebow,Guitar stands,leads,cables,strings and more that I cant remember.I am not looking forward to the next cerdit card bill.Could have got an Axe Fx for the money.Oh well as radioheads Cheep says "what ever makes you happy"
    Poptart
    Sorry for the dumb question,but is it hard to sync the video and audio(does it take long) as i have a short attention span and would just get fed up
    Last edited by Adam; 12-18-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    I guess it depends on the application you are using... for example as a Mac user there's iMovie, Final Cut etc... You might need to get an application that is PC friendly to do the job... my guess is, some may be easer to sync than others...

Helena

Blog Entries
    I have worked with final cut pro in the past so I will find something similar for the pc or else go back to the Mac's

Time is valuable, so I prefer to spend more money on things that make it faster to process videos. Syncing audio and vid is not too hard, but it adds steps in the process. I prefer to record direct and let a mixer mix the BT and audio together and into my video recorder directly. See "My Gear" for the Sign Audio Pro audio mixer I use under my camcorder. It allows me too record audio direction into my video camera so I don't have to sync it up later.
    U2GTAdministrator

Blog Entries
    Thanks Michael.
    I did look at that,But wasnt to sure if I needed it,But by the looks of it I do.So more tears when the credit card bill comes in plus I still need a camera with mic input,I was going to go with the Kodak playtouch,But I want to be able to turn the screen around to see what I am doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast