Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD500 settings

Just out of interest, where is the pickup position wrong (in your opinion)? It is basically neck all the way to the high D - just as Gerry does it. And the chorus - well, you can play it it a few positions and I think Edge has done so himself is it right or wrong? I don't know...

Be interested to hear your thoughts...

Darren

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure anything in the video is wrong either... there's definitely some interpretation do be done, becasuse I can count at least 7 different guitar parts/tones, and when playing live you have to combine these as best you can.

Guitar Parts:-
    1) Intro Rhythm Guitar Tone - Neck PUP almost definitely, with tone rolled down
    2) Acoustic Backing
    3) Lesly effected RnB/choppy Rhythm and intro single note fills.
    4) Fuzz effected top line lead fills (G string bends around 7th fret)
    5) Solo Break/middle 8 - with delay and more typical AC30 Edge tone + SDD Delays
    6) Outro Guitar 1 - arpeggiated high D chord triad - AC30 + SDD delays type sound
    7) Outro Guitar 2 - more arpeggiated fills over 6 - AC30 + SDD Delays type sound

Possibly 5, 6 and 7 are all recorded by same guitar setup, 6 and 7 double tracked/overdubbed.

Possibly even an 8th guitar playing bass note runs from intro into first couple of verse/chorus - it's very low in the mix and has the occasional "chromatic" note if you listen carefully to the studio album. This might be the remnants of a guide track or maybe even Adam - I don't know.

Some other thoughts from my study of this track:-

I wonder if some of the intro guitar parts are in an open tuning because I hear the D to E/E to D as a hammer on and pull off. In standard tuning this has to be played/picked across two string if you're holding the right chord underneath (Aminor or FMaj7th).

I wonder if he used a real lesley cab and not an FX pedal for the sudio version. It has a real "Hammond Organ/Green Onions" vibe I can't get on the POD. Either way, in the POD put the lesley+horn after your amp sim and play with depth controls for each of drum and horn to get EQ right, mix at 100%, speed FAST.

I can't get the studio intro tone - really thick but well defined. I'm wondering if he used a different amp (maybe a Fender) for this part.

Quote Originally Posted by olekcj111 View Post
    I think all of us know that cover but it isn't perfect. He's playing the chorus wrong and use wrong pup position sometimes :] But leslie sound is very good.
    I didn't post this to judge his playing.
    I put it up because he shows wich effects he uses to create his tone. I think his tone is realy good and it helped me figure out what effects i could use to start with.
    I don't have the effects units he does and i don't know the parameters of his effects but knowing what effects you can use can help a whole lot to start.

Blog Entries

Accessing HD500 settings

Hi Edgewannabe

I agree with your comments to the guy trying to build 'One' presets. I have a set of One presets I made from scratch based on my traditional rack set up. They are nearly ready to share, so I would be interested in accessing the zip file you mentioned to make comparisons.

Firstly, are we in favour of just handing members our presets 'on a plate' so to spaek?

Secondly, I could not acces the zip file. The link took me to a sign in page where this site log in would not work due to a space in my username (The Veg) and my google account would not work either. Can you advise please?

All the best
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewannabe View Post
    If you know nothing about what to use for any of the parts maybe the best bet is to take a look at someone elses presets. If you are close already but not quite there maybe you could mention what you have so far, and what you think is missing. And also do you plan to use a Les Paul (I see something looking like it in the avatar).

My point is that it's so much better to give more info in the original post. Too often there is one quick sentence and then it looks lazy (or that people use handheld devices and don't want to write many words because it's much work). Try to think of the people reading the post, so they don't have to asking 3 follow up questions just to understand your situation.

If you want to take a look to see what FX other people use I think there are some in my zip file here:

https://sites.google.com/a/u2guitart...ex-files/hd500

Hi chaps

This is taken from my tour notes....

Intro Neck pup and boost comp sometimes cs2 Edge being Edge will certainly mix things ups a bit gig to gig

Verses cs2 comp ( try blue comp in hd500) Leslie pod pro neck pup

Chorus ts9'( try screamer or overdrive in hd500) 350 ms delay and neck pup

Post chorus riff same as chorus but adds fa1 ( try boost comp at about 70 to 85 % no comp)

Mid 8 same chorus as soon as you start this riff change to bridge pick up delay changes to 337 ms

Hi D chord same as chorus

Outro same as chorus add fa1 and second delay is set to 453 ms

The fuzzy over dub guitar is I'm sure mixed with bonos voice

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Eventide; 01-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.

You know what.
    You are a crazy guy
    I already have problem to have a decent preset per song. And you come with such list.
    Do you really want me to make a depression

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12