Thread: Good AC30 Base Tone with Strat on POD HD

Good AC30 Base Tone with Strat on POD HD

From Google groups posted by TooTone76 on oct 4, 12:15

For Digital Delay with Mod keep the Mod Speed high ( 85-95%) and the Depth low (5-10%). Set Feedback 10-40%, Set Mix around 45-55%. Strum a chord up on the 9th fret and listen to the chorus effect in the repeats - you should hear a constant warbling - adjust the Mod Speed control until this warbling sounds about the correct tempo (increase Depth temporarily to hear the warbling).

I don't know what Amp models you are using - but a "U2 Strat" EQ setting for the VOX AC30 mod on the POD HD is Bass 75%, Mid 60% (actually this is CUT at 40%) and Treble 75%, Presence 0%, Drive - As required 10-30%. Use Blue "Blue Bell" Alnico speaker sims if you have them, and a 67 Condenser Mic. Instead of using "Millisecond Delays" - you could experiment with using "Note Value" delays, and then using the "Tap tempo" to set your delay speeds. This way you needn't worry about getting the tempo exactly in sync with the delay, instead you sync the delay with the tempo you are playing at!!

The only other thing you might need (try and keep it simple) is a OD pedal of some nature - OD-2 or a Tube Screamer sim seem to be popular choices. Keep Drive low and Level set so it doesn't boost or cut your signal (Unity Gain = Zero Gain).

Thanks for this. I got to try it out, as soon as my hangover disappears! :-D
    Les Paul Copy - Ibanez Western Acoustic - Vox AC4TV mini - Behringer 15W - Line6 Pod HD500 - Line6 UX1 interface -
    Yamaha YPT-310 keyboard - Macbook Pro 13"

Blog Entries
    I've ran through dozens of versions of AC30 base tone on the POD HD, and that's included the 2 or 3 firmware updates we've had.

I don't know if it's me, the firmware or the amount of good covers on here, but now when I listen to my AC30 base tone it just sounds wrong.

If anyone has any authentic sounding POD HD/HD500 AC30 settings (with no FX for this thread), then please post them (including the micro settings - SAG etc) and the guitar/piclups used.

I will do the same. I'm hoping we can get a consensus on the right basic AC30 tone via a simulation. I will also try and post some GT-10 settings and clips, but I think the POD will get closer.