Thread: Emulating the Kay Fuzz, can it be done?

Emulating the Kay Fuzz, can it be done?

Hi everyone,

I'm losing my sanity trying to emulate the Kay Fuzz as used on Elevation. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to emulate the Kay Fuzz with the Line6 M13?

Tone I'm struggling with is the verse at about 1.43 in this youtube clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYOu7N8e9PU

I can't seem to get anything that compressed, splatty and distorted.

Very easy part of the song to play but as is common with Edge, the tone is everything here!!!

AArrgrhh

Thanks heaps
    Patrick

(oh.. excuse me if this thread doesn't belong here, let me know if it should be elsewhere)

So I've persisted with trying to emulate the KayFuzz. It's the verse that I'm having a hard time with. Intro I'm happy to use a FuzzPi from M13 and sweep the parameters with an expression pedal. Using a FuzzPi alone during verses to sounds, well it sounds like a FuzzPi, not a KayFuzz

During the verse, as you might know, Edge has the KayFuzz in a stationary position. I've combined a couple drives and some EQ adjustments to attempt to get this sound. It's passable.

Ultimately I'd like to have a KayFuzz for this soo I went looking on ebay. Found one, awesome. Only trouble is they want $699 US for it!!! OMG!! So I'm on the hunt for a clone now.

The tone during the verses allows a lot of space for Bono. This is in contrast for dynamic effect with the choruses. Anyway this is probably not news to a lot of you but thought I'd share my journey with this particularly interesting part of this song. Bit fuzzed out it all

Thanks again.
    Patrick

Blog Entries
    I got pretty close once with a boost comp into a fuzz pi into a parametric eq into a delay used to thicken the tone up. As already discussed just sweep the tone settings of both the fuzz and the parametric eq until your ears tell you.

Thanks man,

I'll try that. Been Using FuzzPi and Parametric eq but not with Boost Comp. I've download the electrical diagram for the KayFuzz and contacted Paul Crowther who makes the HotCake pedal here in New Zealand. He's awesome and says he'll make me a clone for a really decent price.

Thanks heaps for ya input