Thread: Axe-Fx II into real AC30

Blog Entries

Axe-Fx II into real AC30

I would like to first of all find out if anyone uses the Axe-Fx with a real AC30, either at home or for gigging. If so, what are your thoughts? Do you use other pedals, rack units ie. A3, SDD300, SDD-3KP etc. and if so, how do you connect everything? What MIDI controller do you use? Can you use the same effects patches you use with your AC30, with an AC30 amp sim. when playing with headphones for example? Have you tried using an SDD3000 pre-amp and/or delay with an AC30 amp sim.?

Anything else you can think to add to the discussion would be greatly appreciated!

Just in the process of deciding what stays and what goes, in terms of gear and how to connect what's left, so I thought I would pose the question...okay, questions...and see what I can learn from the past experiences of others, who have much more experience at this.

Thanks

Tony

Tony:

I run my Axe-Fx into a real AC30 for my home setup. Here's how I set everything up to work for my particular tastes:

First, my guitars connect to my effects/amp setup via a Line 6 G90 rack-based wireless system. The wireless unit runs into a Boss TU-3 tuner, then into my Carl Martin Octaswitch.

Within the Octaswitch's loop banks, I have my Axe-Fx, A2, Triad, Kay Fuzz Clone, Memory Man and Boss FA-1 clone connected via 1/4" cables. The last output of the Octaswitch runs to my AC30 into the top boost channel. The thing I like most about the Octaswitch is the ability to set up 8 different options of those connected pedals within the loops, with or without my Axe-Fx.

The output of the Axe-Fx is handled in two different ways for me. First, as mentioned previously, I run from the unbalanced 1/4" input/output channel of the Axe-Fx to/from the Octaswitch. This allows me to use the Axe-Fx alone or in combination with anything else I have connected in the Octaswitch. A second, balanced XLR output runs from my Axe-Fx into an FRFR powered floor monitor. This second output allows me to utilize the amp and cabinet modeling capabilities of the Axe-Fx. I've never tried to model an AC30, however, since I have the real thing.

For Axe-Fx MIDI control, I use a Liquid Foot Pro controller.

Again, this particular setup works for me and gives me the flexibility and connectivity I was looking for.

However, as you may recall, I am also the guitar tech for the local U2 tribute. Their "Edge" does things a little different with his Axe-Fx and real AC30 for gigs.

He uses his Axe-Fx for modeling all of his AC30 needs. His balanced XLR output runs from the Axe-Fx to front of house (FOH). This amp modeling approach, plus any effects, provides most of what the venue patrons hear. For stage sound (and to maintain Edge-related visual appearances), he runs a second unbalanced 1/4" output from the Axe-Fx to the return channel of the real AC30. This uses the real amp as a stage speaker only, and projects the sound of the modeled amp and effects on stage and to those standing close to the front.

Confused yet?

---
    David
    Last edited by ultravioledge; 01-26-2014 at 06:50 PM.