Thread: Less hungry reverb in Reaper

Blog Entries

Less hungry reverb in Reaper

Hello all,

During the Germany meeting I was having a chat with Tim (BigTim to you) and we were agreeing how "hungry" from a processor perspective Reaper was when you slap a reverb on the MASTER track. Well this morning I came up with a neat little trick that I thought I would share, and yes it seems much less hungry...

Our thinking BTW is that when you put some FX on the MASTER, it seems to add it to EVERY track... so if you had 10 tracks, that would be 10 reverbs! all working hard for that final sound...

My process now is as follows.

Create a new separate track.
    Pull the fader down to -18dB
    Add "sends" to this track from any other tracks that you want reverb to be added to the final outgoing mix.
    Add a completely WET reverb (WET +0.0dB) (i.e. no DRY signal at all) to the new track. (I am using an IR file and that is where the -18dB came from, because I turn off the "Attenuate impulse by -18.06dB" option)

Ta dah! nice reverb which you can easily turn completely off by muting the track, and fade up and down to your liking.

Enjoy...

Blog Entries
    Agreed - I never add FX to the master. But not for CPU reasons, simply because I think its a bad idea to want a single effect impact absolutely everything. Instead I create FX tracks and send to them. I rarely group the FX (i.e. multiple tracks to single FX track) unless its reverb for vocals or a final compression or something. As you say, you then get fine control on each FX track.
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Blog Entries
    You can also adjust just "how much send from each track" is sent, by clicking on the "send" control and the popup then allows you to back off a fader... you can even pan it differently...
    loads of options!

and I agree... for a studio type recording then you would do different things on the reverb... but to get a "live" kind of sound... which is what I am wanting to achieve, then a nice large hall added to everything makes it seem like a live recording... I will post a snippet of my tracks soon...

Last edited by simonp54; 11-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.