Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slane Castle Tone

Blog Entries

Slane Castle Tone

I wasn't sure where to put this. I hope it's okay here.

I think a lot of people would agree, that Edge's tone during the Slane Castle show, is probably one of the best, UTEOTW, NYD, OOC, etc. I definitely don't have a musical ear, but would you say the tone has a scooped sound to it? If so, could that be best described as lowering the bass and treble and pushing up the mid-range frequencies?

Thoughts?

Tony

Hm yes. I think that sound is one of the greatest. And I can say the same about mid-sounds. Maybe that is the point

Blog Entries
    I think scooping would be the opposite--less mids, more bass & treble (like metal) but yeah, it does seem like the upper mids have been boosted--maybe w/ the GE-7 or another EQ pedal?
    --Brandon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyrnr View Post
    I think scooping would be the opposite--less mids, more bass & treble (like metal) but yeah, it does seem like the upper mids have been boosted--maybe w/ the GE-7 or another EQ pedal?
    So it would be an inverse scoop! :-)

GE-7 was definitely in his rack back then. There must be some rack pics, somewhere, from that era. Maybe we could see where the sliders were set. I have a GE-7 and and AC-30, so I can definitely experiment, knowing that people seem to think it was a mid-boost, but it would be nice to see a pic of Edge's GE-7.

As Michael mentioned to me one time, the tone could also be the result of post mixing that was done for the concert video. Of course, we could determine if it was concert tone, if someone in the group was there! :-)

T.

Slane is indeed unique. My favorite tone on Streets also. So full and lush. Given that it's something you hear on multiple songs (like mentioned above - NYD, UTEOTW, OOC, etc.), my guess is it could be different mic placement/set up for recording the show and/or (more likely) most production mix and EQ/compression. It could be so many variables. I doubt it's something as simple as the GE-7 being placed on all these songs. Try it and I think you will find it's a tone sucker. And keep in mind your amp likely sounds different than Edge's (especially in a room and not on stage,etc.) - heck Edge's amp today probably sounds different than it did back then. Who the heck knows.

All I do now is choose a song I like (Slane, or the deleted scene from It Might Get Loud) and do my best to converge to it (whether it was Edge's tone or post production).

The other reason I think Slane is all about the post production, is because I recently listened more carefully the the Fly (Boston version) and compared it to a clip someone recorded of U2 playing the same song in Miami on the same tour. Edge's tone and solo didn't sound anything like the one of the Boston DVD. So I think we are hearing post production on Boston also. It's a shame really because I think that post production can make them sound even better, but that's not exactly fair because they can't reproduce it that way every night. I saw 360 tour three times over two years and the tone was consistent across all three. And I thought it was good, but not even close to Slane, etc. But what I think I was hearing was what Edge sounds like most of the time (just my guess).

M
    U2GTAdministrator

Blog Entries
    Michael, all great points. Although you and I have discussed this topic in the past, I thought it would be a great thread after listening to Slane on my way in to work this morning.

It's probably all of the above or a combination for sure. However, take a listen to this clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUP7x...tailpage#t=426

I realize it's not a pedal Edge used, but listen what happens when he flips the mid boost switch. Is it just me, or does it start to sound like the Slane OD tone?

T.

dutchyU2
    GE 7 is NOT a tonesucker btw, then there must be something wrong with it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchyU2 View Post
    GE 7 is NOT a tonesucker btw, then there must be something wrong with it
    Agreed. I own one and it's not noisy, nor does it affect the tone in a negative way. It actually gives a very nice boost. It's a FET drive, so it's similar to the FA-1 in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Toopy14 View Post
    Agreed. I own one and it's not noisy, nor does it affect the tone in a negative way. It actually gives a very nice boost. It's a FET drive, so it's similar to the FA-1 in that regard.
    Ok, I stand corrected. Just what I was told.
    U2GTAdministrator

Quote Originally Posted by Toopy14 View Post
    Michael, all great points. Although you and I have discussed this topic in the past, I thought it would be a great thread after listening to Slane on my way in to work this morning.

It's probably all of the above or a combination for sure. However, take a listen to this clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUP7x...tailpage#t=426

I realize it's not a pedal Edge used, but listen what happens when he flips the mid boost switch. Is it just me, or does it start to sound like the Slane OD tone?

T.
    Hey T! Yep, I hear it. Whether it was a combination of things or just some pre or post event EQ, there are more mids in the Slane tone. If it was post production then it was as if the EQ they added was a paraEQ with the mids set higher in db. And a paraEQ can also "squeeze" the frequency curve to give it that tight, wah sound. In fact, a wah pedal is just a paraEQ that makes the freq curve narrow and higher and the then broad and lower.

I hear a slight fixed wah on Slane. That's how I describe that nice tone. I doubt it was a simple EQ pedal if it was one at all, but there is something about the tone shaping on that DVD that will forever be unknown.
    U2GTAdministrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast