Thread: TUF | Live UZoo Rehearsal Recording without vocals...

Cool TUF | Live UZoo Rehearsal Recording without vocals...

We had an important gig and our singer had another commitment and couldn't make it. I have a good friend that does a great Bono and he was willing to fill in for our singer.

To get him up-to-speed and so he could rehearse at home, we did a quick, down-and-dirty three-piece rehearsal. We recorded the 18 songs from that show's set list without vocals so he could learn the song structures / versions that we do.

We threw three mics on the drums; snare, kick, and one overhead, threw an SM57 on my Vox AC30 and ran the bass and tracks direct and recorded 18 songs live and raw into my ZOOM R24 recorder straight to an SD card. I imported the sessions into Reaper, added some compression and EQ presets, rendered a mono track and then a quick mastering job through T-Racks 3.

Here is The Unforgettable Fire (2009 360 Tour version) with no vocals. It sounds okay. It's far from perfect. But it was a fun process.

FYI... I programmed the backing track with Reason 4, a CP80 patch that I modified and some Native Instruments VSTs.

Also... There are ten (10) measures of intro when the band kicks in before the first verse... in case you want to get your Bono on and sing along...
    Last edited by u2tributeband; 04-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.

dutchyU2
    Sounds great, good job

yeah. sounds awesome. lol, i listened for the first time, counted 10 measures, and started to hum along. and was rewarded at the pre-chorus to find out, that my timing is actually correct
    thx for sharing, cool stuff.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I was so happy that U2 put TUF in the 360 tour setlist!

That is one of my favorite U2 songs and one of my favorite to play live because I love the challenge of playing keys and guitar live.

I'm another one who is so happy they put UF back in the set. Such a great moment in Vegas when they pulled it out. I was floored. Amazing.

Great recording here. Thanks for posting. You guys are nice and tight too. Nice all around.

Sounds amazing man.....that song brings me back

Would love to hear it with vocals.
    My Gear: Guitars: The Edge Signature Fender Stratocaster - Yamaha FX310 Acoustic // Muli-effects: Line 6 Pod HD500X - Line 6 UX1 // Amp: Vox AC15C1X - // Pedals: Dirk Hendrik SD3K - JOYO JF-13 AC Tone // Microphone: Carol Sigma Plus1

Thanks guys!

We are heading to the Dominican Republic for a show next week and I'm busy prepping for that . So I'll add vocals to the track in a couple of weeks after we return.

I'm finding it's common to use SoundCloud to post here so I will do that next time.

I appreciate your input and I'm always open to constructive critiques.

Peace,
    Chris

hehe.. the only critique i have for you guys is, that you don't post enough of your stuff here