Thread: Where the Streets Have No Name (my cover)

Blog Entries

Where the Streets Have No Name (my cover)

Ok, this isn't a bona fide "1-take" cover--I actually had to re-record part of this, so there are 2 takes in there , but I've always had trouble with this song. IMHO this is the quintessential U2 song, and I've been trying to nail WTSHNN since I picked up a guitar 3 years ago, so please, comment/criticize away! Thanks

Gear:

Strat w/ Kinmans
    HD500
    SDD-3kp (in fx loop)
    Reaper
    --Brandon

Playing sounds good. I think there are a couple of parts where the timing gets weird, but the drums in the back track are all over the place. I am pretty sure you are following it better than I could.

-Phil

great sleepy. like your tone, like your playing. +1 to your comment about this song. I am working on this one a very long time as well. Good thing, it is one of the most fun songs to play for me. so practicing comes easy for me with this song.
    +"2" to phils comment. try to use a different BT.

Blog Entries
    Hey sleepy, nice going man. Decent tone and playing too. Slightly out of time in places but as others have said, that might be the backing track. Try another BT to see what happens. Could also try practicing the main riff to a click track or metronome to nail that timing. In the chorus, the timing goes out again (you seem to be playing ahead of the song) - not sure if this was reality or the recording process. But the good news it the tone and playing are good, so just timing to sort out - thanks for sharing!

P.S. I too have spent years trying to perfect this song and I'm still not there. So I am not commenting as some Godlike player of this song, just how I hear it - and trust me I hear the same kinda things in my own recordings!!
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Horrible backing, this is the first thing makes it difficult to play along!!! But I agree with Tim that the timing isn´t right. I think that you have not the right bmp for your delay (could be difficult to find because oft he weird backing!). Another thing I want to mention is your change from the clean to the distortion sound - I hear some unnessary break while changing.
    But you really nailed the tone for both -clean and distortion!!! Take a better backing, take the right delay settings and keep on practicing! Then you will come closer!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback, everybody! Took a short break from this song, but I'll have another go at it soon...in the meantime, I'm working on learning "One" Before I take another crack at Streets, I'll find a different backing track, though. Tim, you're right about my playing during the chorus--that's definitely me--not Reaper--that's to blame there I've always found that to be the trickiest part, timing-wise...
    --Brandon