Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Advice for Les Paul

Blog Entries

Pickup Advice for Les Paul

Tim

You are the man! Got the t-tops from bulldog and fitted them a few days ago

Had a little trouble with some solder going in one of the pots so replaced that yesterday and put orange drop capacitors in to replace the cheap Gibson studio caps and man what a sound warm and crisp it's making my axe fx amp sim sound 10 times better

When I get a decent recording dotted on the mac ( I'm having popping noise issues recording over the axe midi connection ) ill post some of the One tutorial practise and then you can see how they sound

Thanks a million for your bulldog pickup recommendation he hand wound them to my requirements( I sent him a live U2 one track and said I wanted that tone) and I cannot be more pleased

All the best for the New Year
    --
    Rewddog - AxeFX2 Presets and Cabs available at Fractal Audio Axechange - Rewddog
    https://soundcloud.com/rewddog

Great news. Glad it worked out look forwards to hearing them.

For the popping problem, when you say midi connection do you mean the usb connection to the pc? if so, check your driver (asio or fractal audio?) buffer setting. try increasing the buffer size a little. Latency will increase a fraction but cpu overhead might be accommodated better.

Blog Entries

Popping problem appears to be a known axe fx bug apparently you need to reboot the axe every 30-45 mins when using USB? Strange issue they have promised to address

So I'm now happier as I thought it was something I had done- now I've got to set up the mac to record stereo through the mic input from the mixer, which should work, I'm putting a cable together and will post some results

I would like to record myself so I can listen back to all the mistakes and let you guys critique me
    --
    Rewddog - AxeFX2 Presets and Cabs available at Fractal Audio Axechange - Rewddog

Blog Entries
    Well I´ve managed to do a recording, can´t believe how nervous I get when I hit the record button, so not the best attempt, but to give an idea on how the T-Tops sound through the AXE FX II

I´ve also attached the AXE FX II preset files for anyones use if interested to get a comparison.

ONE v8.01 Jan 2013.syxUtEoTw 360 Jan 2013.syx

Happy New year to all, now to practise practise practise and I may even enter a competition this year
    --

Blog Entries
    rewddog, those are some fantastic tones you're getting...damn, I need me some T-tops!

Quote Originally Posted by rewddog View Post
    Well I´ve managed to do a recording, can´t believe how nervous I get when I hit the record button
    dude, I know what you mean...it usually takes me a few days to record anything for that very reason...damn "red-light syndrome"
    Last edited by sleepyrnr; 01-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    --Brandon

Hello Rewddog,
    i tried the two Axe Fx II presets, but i cannot hear any sound coming out of the Axe FX II.
    Any Ideas what to do to activate the sound ?
    Regards
    Manfred

Blog Entries

Hi

I do not think I've attached my external pedal to any effects in the chain, but check to see if the yellow brackets appear on any of the brackets in the effects, check one by one

Also make sure effect loop blocks are bypassed if they are in those presets

I also have some levels set as -5 to -8db due to clipping issues I have in my chain, check to see if these are killing the sound

Unlink any global blocks as I use global blocks for the amp and cab

Other than that i will check next weekend when I get home from work and see if I can see anything obvious
    --

Just for the record did you get both bridge and neck pick ups? And if so how much did they cost?
    I really want to change the bridge in my Les Paul Standard and was gonna go the way of Seymour Duncan 59s, but yours sound pretty good! And i do notice that the guy who makes them isnt too far away from me either.

Blog Entries

Hi dude

£180 plus 5 delivery for neck and bridge
    Covered in silver or gold

And it's got a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser

Email hayden (at) bulldogpickups.com

Took him about 3 weeks to build them to my spec 1970's lp custom

"Just got chance to have a listen (to "one") - I think I should be making you a 70s Gibson T-Top replica. That's the pickup that would have been in that guitar, they are alnico V and quite low in power, but I'd use alnico IV as it will sound a bit like an older/aged pickup in this case. "

Hope this helps
    --

dutchyU2

180 pounds????that's expensive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast