Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CheapEdge - Ultraviolet

Well, i think you do stand a chance. Playing is very good and consistent. Not the easiest song to play.
    Only critisism i can give is that i'm not crazy about the sound on the fuzz part, sounds a bit thin to my ears. Playing is spot on!

Rob, very well done. very consistent playing, I like the tone, although I wud add a tad more grit to the basetone. (Never realised, that they add bongos at the bridge)?
    great job, thx for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Hi Joe,
    Thx for the feedback. I will check the freq tuning of my studio monitors, maybe my subwoofer is at a too high volume. Maybe I will repost a vid with updated audio track.
    About the backing track: please note that note all you hear is U2, it's partly mixed with a karaoke track - so I am not sure if these bongos are actually in the original recording - but I like it :-).
    Regards, Rob

Blog Entries
    Hi Rob,
    Very sharp remark on the fuzz, I agree with that - the fuzz tone is indeed somewhat thin, this exactly the paRT ABOUT WHICH i WAS LEAST SATISFIED MYSELF..
    I have been thinking to add more mids in center and some more reverb panned left and right. Other suggestions are welcome.
    Regards, other Rob from Rotterdam :-)

wow, rob, great job in mixing the BT. If you wud not have said that, I wud not have noticed that. I agree, the bongos sound great. I honestly found your fuzz quite ok. but thats probably because I was never really happy with the fuzz tone, I am able to achieve for that song. So, compared to what have, yours sounds really cool.
    again, great playing.

dutchyU2
    What pups do you have in the strat, are they noiseless pu's from Fender or Kinmanns? I see something written on the pupcovers,,,Great playing BTW, only thing I have to comment is that I think I hear the BT too much and I would have preferred a more dirtier sound, for my taste it is too clean

gr Bert

Blog Entries
    Hi Bert,
    The pick ups are Kinman Woodstocks.
    I have them sice a few weeks only, and they're not exactly cheap :-) but I think they're worth every penny - very happy with them, great step forward on the everlasting quest for the right tone ...

Mix .. I try to make mixes where the guitar blends in with the BT rather than that it goes on the foreground, matter of taste I suppose. I try to keep in mind the principle of Our Great Example Himself: you are accompannying the singer, no more no less.

About tone more dirty and gritty ... also matter of taste I suppose. The tone I created is the result of partly following Michaels tutorials and partly listening to several U2 recordings, both studio and live. I think I came/stayed pretty close to that sound, which I like, and of which I think fits the atmosphere of the song best. But a more dirty and gritty variation could perhaps sound great as well.

Regards, Rob

dutchyU2
    Yep, taste is very personal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12