Thread: it was a Dirty Day...

Blog Entries

it was a Dirty Day...

not really contest-worthy, more just for fun

Found out after recording that my guitar's slightly out of tune...also maybe a bit too much wah during solo.

Gear used:
    Epi LP Studio
    HD500
    AC Tone in fx loop
    Reaper

Critiques welcome!
    Last edited by sleepyrnr; 10-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    --Brandon

Zooropa is an album I really should listen too more. Don't really know this song but, I thought the tone was great, especially the overdriven section which sounded very very good (very gritty and no mud at all)

hey sleepy, great job. very consistenly played. I thought, that the chorus sounds to bright and quacky in comparison with the verse, but thats just my taste.
    great song from a great album. those days.... run away like horses over the hill

Blog Entries
    thanks bigtim--tone of the chorus was actually annoying me when I first listened back in Reaper, then I lowered the volume level of the guitar track...lol amazing what a difference that can make sometimes Yeah, Zooropa is kind of a red-headed stepchild in the U2 catalog, but I love it--it's when they were at their ballsiest (and weirdest). Only thing I don't like is that the album version of "Dirty Day" puts me to sleep. Live version off the Sydney ZooTV DVD is much better...lot of aggression in the chorus riff. Not sure why they smothered it with a pillow in the studio Rest of the album's brilliant, tho imho

thanks Joe! I listened to the DVD track again, and I think you're right...Edge's guitar is a bit darker and throatier in the chorus. When I was working on this the other day, the verse riff was standing out in the mix too much, so I re-recorded after cutting treble and adding some bass (and lowering the level). On the DVD, the verse riff is kind of in the background...so that's what I was going for there. Lowering the level did help make the chorus riff less harsh, but I may have overcompensated a bit on the "tonal contrast" thing where the verse/chorus are concerned Yeah, I love this album--wish someone here would take a crack at "Stay" (album version) or DGPFYCC
    Last edited by sleepyrnr; 10-22-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    --Brandon

I agree that it will sound a lot better if the tone is darker and more full in the chorus
    Kjetil Gilje