Thread: Ultraviolet Tone Test

Blog Entries

Ultraviolet Tone Test

I'm nowhere near ready to post a full cover of this song (I'm still learning it) but here's a sample of the tone I've come up with:

It sounds about right to me but then, I've been listening to my own guitar inside my headphones for the better part of the evening, and I could definitely use some more objective ears (and opinions). Would very much appreciate your feedback
    --Brandon

Tell us the truth, you are The Edge, isn't it?

Seriously, very nice tone for me, so as playing.

Quote Originally Posted by manu68 View Post

Nice to imagine. Edge is between us, incognito.
    Rock´n´Roll stops the Traffic

very smooth tone, sleepy. which i like very much on the pre-chorus/bridge/octave part or how ever you call that. I prefer I a bit more bright tone during the regular verse. you have an interesting choice of notes for the fuzz-part, bro not sure, if all of them belong there, or maybe just some overambitious bending here or there?
    anyway... very well played.. looking forward to the ultravioleeeeeeet-part, which I personally find the hardest of the whole song.

such a great song!

Blog Entries
    Tone is good Brandon, a great starting point for learning the song. The guitar is a little high in the mix (as this is just a tone test) and often the appreciation of the tone can change when you lower the level and "bed" the guitar into the track a bit more.

I know what Joe means about the notes during the fuzz part - too much vibrato or whammy in there. This was a tough song for me to learn and it was the chorus that I struggled with the most. Looking forward to hearing your cover.
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Blog Entries
    Did you use a strat to play this? If so, I wonder how it will sound with low output humbuckers. My guess you'll be close then. I am currently learning this song, but also playing it on a strat, only my strat has a bridge pu with higher output. Sounds good, but I think humbuckers will sound better. Edge uses hot rails if I remember well?
    Personally I don't like the fuzz part, but I guess you did that because you don't have a sustainer? If you have a axe you might try the feedback patch there, to see if you get the long sustained fuzz part.

Nice tone! I agree with the others, less vibrato. Did you use Guitar Rig?
    // Marcelo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manu68 View Post

Man, I wish--but nice of you to say so, manu Joe, Tim & others, yeah, the weirdness during the fuzz part is me being, uh, "overenthusiastic" w/ the tremolo bar on the Frankenrocket. Moderation's so hard when bending is this easy

Marcelo, the gear I used was Frankenrocket (Hot Rails in bridge, sustainer in neck)=>SDD pedal=>Joyo=>HD500=>laptop w/ Reaper. Jacques, I completely forgot to turn the sustainer on during the bridge part lol...then I was too lazy to re-record, and I needed to get some sleep

I've watched/listened to Ultraviolet on the 360 DVD several times, and the guitar seems to be more ethereal and less "in-your-face"...I'm gonna try increasing the delay in the mix, as well as the amount of reverb...I'm hoping that'll "bed" the guitar down as well. Thanks everybody
    --Brandon