Thread: my WOWY cover

Blog Entries

my WOWY cover

Came home from work today planning to practice Pride, but I felt like taking a crack at WOWY instead.

Any criticism or advice is welcome of course, but I'm particularly interested in feedback re: the tone. I have an Epi Les Paul, but I felt like giving it a go w/ my Kinman Strat. I know the Kinmans can't stand up to the Hot Rails in a Fernandes, so I tried to compensate by upping the gain on my SDD-3KP and on the screamer drive block in the HD500.

Also, I'm not too happy w/ the shimmer either. Always seems like it's too weak or too harsh--I've had trouble finding a happy medium there.

Gear:
    MexiStrat (Kinman pups)
    HD500
    SDD-3kp (in POD's fx loop)
    Ebow
    Reaper

I think the backing track came from www.edgewannabe.net --it's from Milan during the Vertigo tour.
    Last edited by sleepyrnr; 05-29-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Sleepy, the first thing I would work on is the main riff. For some reason the delay is not really working for you IMHO, it all sounds a bit too frantic. I am pretty sure I use just a single dotted eigth delay, slightly modulated (with frequency linked to the dotted 1/8) three or four repeats, with the mix at around 50% so first repeat is pretty loud.

Also maybe the point you make about getting the drive right... for me you kind of got a little too much mud and not enough drive. Ditch the strat and go with the LP LOL no but seriously, maybe tone down the SDD and put a little drive block in the HD500?

I'm not saying this version is any better than yours, but this is what I am meaning:

The bpm for this BT was 115

Also for the e-bow section I would calm the mix down a little, its maybe a bit too harsh. I use my volume pedal to weave the e-bow in and out a little.

The chorus sections, second e-bow sections, bridge and outro sections are really nice. A bit of work on the transitions maybe but nice (the R&H version outro is lots of fun to play with the delay so try that one)

Intro is spot on but main guitar straight after the intro has a very midi like sound, as if the strings were being damped, maybe slack back a bit on the compression and bring the mids down a touch and your good to go
    Other than that it sounds great!

Blog Entries
    bigtim: as always, thanks for the feedback. The BPM of the bt I used was 111, and I used a single dotted 8th delay. I think I was accidentally damping the strings (right after striking them) during the main riff--this may be why it sounded off kilter. Did you hear the "frantic delay"/timing problem throughout the song, or was it mainly during the first verse/chorus?

For drive, I had the SDD-3kp go into the screamer block...not sure why. I'm switching them so the chain in the POD will be: [screamer]-->[fxloop for SDD3kp]-->[delay], etc. I'm also lowering the bass on the amp sim--hopefully, that'll help w/ the mud.

I like your ebow tone--very smooth and pleasing to the ear, rather than being harsh. It would probably help if I used my LP w/ humbuckers, but for some reason, I wanted to do this the hard way and use single coils [insert facepalm smiley here]. I'm using a volume pedal to control the shimmer in the mix...I may try using the "vintage mic preamp" block to warm up the ebow part. Haha yeah, those gaps in the playing are me putting down the ebow. Wish I could afford a Fernandes Retrorocket

Conman:
    Thanks! You're right--I'm pretty sure I was damping the strings by accident...that red "record" light comes on, and I tense up. If only I could record myself without knowing I was being recorded, LOL. I'm not using any of the comp models in the POD, but I use Kinman pickups, and they're supposed to be pretty touch responsive...I'll try a lighter touch for take 2. Btw, did I read in one of the other threads that in addition to your AC30, you've got a Hiwatt? And if so, any plans to launch http://www.gilmourtutorials.com/?
    Last edited by sleepyrnr; 06-01-2012 at 07:53 AM.

You'll get there in the end mate, as for me owning a Hiwatt it aint me, I wish....lol Still love the Pink Floyd stuff though!

I found a better sound, playing with the ebow, closing the tone knob.
    experiment with it and it will sound less harsh.

Antonio
    Fender Stratocaster 1979 Black with original pickups ; Gretsch Bono Irish Falcon 2005 Everygreen with FilterTron Pickups ; Gibson Les Paul Custom 2003 Alpine White with SD Seth Lover pickups; Gibson J200 Blonde 1989 with Fisherman Matrix Infinity II; Line 6 HD500; Vox AC4TV; Vox Amplug AC30.

Blog Entries
    good idea, antonio--thanks! That never occurred to me I'll try it out later tonite
    --Brandon

glad to help you

Antonio
    Fender Stratocaster 1979 Black with original pickups ; Gretsch Bono Irish Falcon 2005 Everygreen with FilterTron Pickups ; Gibson Les Paul Custom 2003 Alpine White with SD Seth Lover pickups; Gibson J200 Blonde 1989 with Fisherman Matrix Infinity II; Line 6 HD500; Vox AC4TV; Vox Amplug AC30.