Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Edge and Joe Soundtesting the AXE FX (ultra) against the Real Amps

I will send the 13 clips to you Michael. They are quite low in volume but interesting to hear. Even though this is the Ultra soundcheck in 2010. It would be very interesting to hear clips from when they tried out Axe FX2 with the Fractal guy in 2011 or 2012 or when that was.
    Kjetil Gilje

Some of the things said:

Heres what joe says about the AXE FX: its susprisingly good to be perfectly
    honest, its really good. its even emulating the buzz edge which is fairly unique (laughs joe)

what edge says about the AXE FX: it sounds different but it sounds really good
    thats how i would describe it.with alot of work we could create this entire rig with just a couple
    of small vox's which would be pretty amazing.

joe says: absolutely i totally agree with you i mean its a sign that you
    know,you know convince me that its very much the way to go.
    Kjetil Gilje

I dont think that edge will retire his old vox amps yet but for sure its a good by to some units as TC delay and maybe, the new ones like the Line 6. By the picture from CAE rigs we can see that edge still uses the SDD3000 to bost the signal, its very unique sound to achieve only with the AXE ( I couldnt, my sims are good but are not the same). But the possibility of using the AXE amp sims still a mystery to us... Let's see what they will bring to the next tour.... I read sometime ago that edge was really tired of the old voxes, that Dallas need to have a garage full of Old amps to get only 2 or 3 running... that is ridicullous i guess... A band like U2 cant relay their live song on gears that are out of date and giving problem.

For instance, i know that the mysterious preset of the A3 is unique, but is a unit that put much noise at the signal... maybe with a little of work and adaptation he could achive the same sound at AXE FX also....

In my opinion first VOX sounds too treble, second sounds too bass. As a consequence - both sound great. As we hear The Edge I think they'll use fractal only when they cannot bring the whole rig. I can't imagine thi whole gig or tour without the orginal effects... it would sound too diffrent

Those Vox clips say it all. His amps are very unique sounding which further examplifies that no 2 AC30's sound alike. I've tried to sim his tone with my pedals and effects but could only get close.. real close, but not 100% accurate. There's no doubt in my mind that he had his SDD boosting his amps in those clips. It has that signature cleanish with a bit of hair on the chords chime.

Never the less, alot of you guys get that Edge tone without sounding exactly like his. No sim will ever replicate his pure amp tones imho....

A band like U2 cant relay their live song on gears that are out of date and giving problem.

For instance, i know that the mysterious preset of the A3 is unique, but is a unit that put much noise at the signal... maybe with a little of work and adaptation he could achive the same sound at AXE FX also....
    i have to say i disagree raoninery. Listen to Lukas's latest a3 recording, no noise, great tone from a guitar that does not cost thousands of dollars. who knows if and when edge will reconstruct his rig, but my money is on no time soon.

Blog Entries
    did you guys (Raoni obviously did) see the post by CAE on facebook? in which he shows the rack systems he recently built for The Edge... contains two AXEFX's, Korg SDD3000 and a BOSS effect and an ibanez..................

Edge-Fractal-Rig.jpg

and I think what Raoni was trying to say is, that from a "business continuity perspective" a band like U2 can't rely on equipment that is breaking down all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Edge keeps on trying the current latest effects like he always has... its just that the effects world and amplifier world are converging markets... just like radio and mobile phones and voice and data...
    Last edited by simonp54; 05-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.

edge´s fractal rig: have you seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp54 View Post
    did you guys (Raoni obviously did) see the post by CAE on facebook? in which he shows the rack systems he recently built for The Edge... contains two AXEFX's, Korg SDD3000 and a BOSS effect and an ibanez..................

Edge-Fractal-Rig.jpg

and I think what Raoni was trying to say is, that from a "business continuity perspective" a band like U2 can't rely on equipment that is breaking down all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Edge keeps on trying the current latest effects like he always has... its just that the effects world and amplifier world are converging markets... just like radio and mobile phones and voice and data...

Whoops meant to send the link to the discussion on this very subject

Blog Entries
    Would you post the link to this story? Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast