Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fly - 360 Tour Version

Blog Entries
    DTC - regards the music expertise. I'm not so good I can tell just by listening, but if I knew the underlying chords on the solo I could be more sure. Using StephaneGuitars slowed down clip, I think what you mean is at 0:33 - and it sounds like a Key Change. It sounds good though doesn't it? It really lifts the solo up and moves it along.

For guitarists, think of key change as just playing the same pattern of notes (scale) a few frets further up or down the fretboard. So either a key change in the middle of the song (as per solo), or the same song played in a different key between versions (Elevation tour vs 360 for example). All a Capo is doing is changing the KEY of the Open Chords. So instead of playing everything on the next higher string (5 semi-tones higher) I would just put a Capo on the 5th fret and play it the same way I am used to but higher up the fretboard - but that's because I am lazy. It's how I did my cover of EBTTRT.
    "If I could play one note for a whole song, I would" - Guess who said that.

Tony, it's between 20 and 30 secs in there - the chord changes between the first and second runs through. So, you play 8th fret on the first (the whole sequence being 10-8-7) and 9th second time (10-9-7):

B (or E)|14-1412-12-1210-10-108-8-87-7-75-5-53-3-3-5/1097-3-5/1097

The same thing likely happens on the 12th fret bend at 33 secs as you say.

And as far as I am concerned, you are THE musical theory man - don't be so modest! I'm useless (but getting better) at changing the key of a song - I can of course do it with a capo but not just changing the chords. I wish I'd studied all this when I was young (I'm 72 now) but I wanted to do it my way.

Darren

BTW, I don't think that that solo tab is correct - too many notes on 8. I think it is 2, not 3. Don't use the tab I posted without questioning it - use your ears

Darren

Blog Entries
    I just looked at the chords on ultimate guitar (never to be trusted).

Verse = Em A D - This makes it the Key of D Major
    Chorus = C#m E A - This makes it the Key of A Major

If ultimateguitar is right there is a key change between verse and chorus, which I am guessing is what's happening in the solo also (it sounds like it).

The chorus is indeed C#m - I said earlier it was Bm but I was wrong (no guitar, no brains!)

Yes, the soloo starts off with the verse chords and then goes to the chorus chords part way.

Darren

Here's a clip I mixed to work the solo :
    Stephan that is genius, how did you slow it down and keep the pitch right? Is that a trick all DAWs have, happy days. If its something only the expensive DAW's can do, would you mind doing the same for the outro, thats the bit I really really struggle with.

Great post! Gonna loop that in reaper until I nail it

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim View Post
    Stephan that is genius, how did you slow it down and keep the pitch right? Is that a trick all DAWs have, happy days. If its something only the expensive DAW's can do, would you mind doing the same for the outro, thats the bit I really really struggle with.
    Nope, that's (free) Audacity. Change the tempo and it keeps the pitch.

Here is the outro :

Enjoy !

Stephane. Thank you very much for taking the time to do the outro, that is very very kind of you!!

+1 for Audacity I'm going to have a play in reaper to see if it can do the same, am hoping this is a more enjoyable way of learning a solo than messing around trying to tab the damn thing for myself.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    I think you can do in reaper too... I can't remember how though. It's in the manual.

I think you can do in reaper too... I can't remember how though. It's in the manual.
    Phew I found it without having to consult the manual. Behind the rate slider is a tick box option to 'preserve pitch' check this and bingo!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast