Thread: Mic for vocals & percussion

Blog Entries

Mic for vocals & percussion

I'm thinking of buying a microphone for vocals and possibly some light percussion work. The trusty Shure SM58 clearly comes into my head first. In the UK I can get one with a boom stand and XLR lead for about £100.

Is this a good choice or should I look at other mic's or possibly a condenser mic?

P.S. if it matters, I have phantom power via my firewire recording box.
    My Gear : Fender Strat // Tokai Love Rock LP // Epiphone Explorer Korina // Taylor 814ce (2014) Acoustic // Roland HP107 Piano // Line 6 Pod HD500 // Korg A3 // Presonus Firestudio Mobile // iMac 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB // M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers // Vox AC4TV

"Everybody’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan talking to Edge

Blog Entries
    I would suggest SM58 as a first "must have" mic. It is very good universal dynamic mic. You can record almost everything with it. There is many good condenser mics too but they are more sensitive to acoustic treatment of the room and are slightly pricey. Of course you can find some good cheap condenser too. I think audio-technica AT2020, 3035 have good reference. Russian oktava is great brand too. Take a look on this forum www.gearslutz.com there is many reviews of mics and audio gear.
    Its not about gear, the goal is soul.

shure pg27? keep meaning to try one of these for accoustic and vocals? did you use one at all pupack?

Blog Entries
    i dont know this mic, but i would give it a try - its Shure so it will not be a bad mic even PG line is the cheaper by Shure. Mic - specially for vocals is hard to suggest because its about finding out which one sits to your voice. Bono recorded most of U2 albums with Shure 58 for example. Shure sm7b is also great mic (F.Mercury, M.Jackson etc) There is no bad or good mic at all (except really cheap mics).
    I would also consider what type of vocal i will record - if its dark, bright, thin etc. From condensers also check the Blue Spark and Blue Bluebird mics. Also Marshall mics are good (MXL).
    Its not about gear, the goal is soul.